Can't find network

sight4

The ethernet conroller is made by NVIDIA. I gave up trying to make this work by making adustments to the ethernet port and just did a new install of Mandriva. That was slightly succesful. I now have internet access for about one minute after a restart, then it goes away. Obviously there is something that happens shortly after boot up that is disabling my network access. After that brief period I can't ping my router. I don't think it is a firewall issue bacause I have all access permissions turned on. My security level is set to standard and the message from the Network Monitoring window is that the computer is not connected. I you have any other ideas, let me know.

Thanks

I'd still advise disabling the IPV6 in case it's causing your problem. It may, or may not, but we have to try it to find out.

What is your ethernet card connected to? DSL router? Is this is what is giving the DHCP address?

I'd still advise disabling the IPV6 in case it's causing your problem. It may, or may not, but we have to try it to find out.

What is your ethernet card connected to? DSL router? Is this is what is giving the DHCP address?

The ethernet card is connected to a network switch to a LinkSys wireless router but I am not using the wireless features. That in turn is connected to a cable modem. When the computer is first turned on it does connect to the router getting the IP address 192.168.1.105 via gate way 192.168.1.1 which is indeed the router's address. It is found the DNS servers and I can access yahoo long enough to bring up the home page. After that it stops working.

I tried adding the line to modprobe.conf as suggested but it didn't help any. Also, I've tried taking the network switch out of the path and that also didn't have any effect.

OK, let's see some output from some commands. After it stops responding, give me the output from the following commands:

ifconfig

to see if your ethernet card has an ip address. Then:

netstat -r

which should give us a default gateway address. Then, also try this:

host linux.org

to see if it reports back with an IP address, if not, maybe there is a problem with DNS, so then do:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

and post the output here, as well as the other commands, so I can see what is configured OK, and what might not be.

when I enter ifconfig I get

ifconfig
eth0	  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:13:D3:CD:64:D9  
	  inet6 addr: fe80::213:d3ff:fecd:64d9/64 Scope:Link
	  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
	  RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:25 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
	  RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
	  Interrupt:5 Base address:0x4000 

lo		Link encap:Local Loopback  
	  inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
	  inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
	  UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
	  RX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
	  RX bytes:896 (896.0 b)  TX bytes:896 (896.0 b)

when I enter netstat -r I get

netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination	 Gateway		 Genmask		 Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
169.254.0.0	 *			   255.255.0.0	 U		 0 0		  0 lo
127.0.0.0	   *			   255.0.0.0	   U		 0 0		  0 lo

later, after a reboot, I entered the commands again and netstat -r gave a different result

netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
192.168.1.0	 *			   255.255.255.0	U	   0 0		  0 eth0
169.254.0.0	 *			   255.255.0.0	 U		 0 0		  0 eth0
default			*			  192.168.1.1	UG	  0 0		  0 eth0

in both case there was no ability to use the network. That is a ping to 192.168.1.1 would not find the router.

when I enter host linux.org I get

host linux.org
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

and when I enter cat /etc/resolv.conf I get

cat /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 204.127.203.135
nameserver 216.148.225.135
search localhost

OK, after your reboot, you had the route info, but you didn't post the ifconfig, so I couldn't see if you had an IP or not. But it seems you would have, else the route wouldn't have been there I think.

I would be tempted to configure your machine with a static IP address instead of using DHCP. It will make things easier for the time being to ensure you've got an IP, and ensure you have a route, and always, and not just at the beginning for it to disappear later.

Then, we can post the output of the above commands again, and we can try some things to see if we can get it working.

I notice you have ipv6 still enabled, so presume you removed that line I asked you to put in /etc/modprobe.conf

After I boot I do have an IP -- 192.168.1.105 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1.

I had tried a static IP address when I first had the problem but it didn't help. Again now, it doesn't help.

I added the alias line again and set a static IP address. Here are the results of issuing the various commands:

eth0	  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:13:D3:CD:64:D9  
	  inet addr:192.168.1.105  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
	  UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
	  RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
	  RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
	  Interrupt:5 Base address:0x4000 

lo		Link encap:Local Loopback  
	  inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
	  UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
	  RX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
	  RX bytes:5548 (5.4 KiB)  TX bytes:5548 (5.4 KiB)

Kernel IP routing table
192.168.1.0	 *			   255.255.255.0   U		 0 0		  0 eth0
169.254.0.0	 *			   255.255.0.0	 U		 0 0		  0 eth0
default		 192.168.1.1	 0.0.0.0		 UG		0 0		  0 eth0

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

nameserver 204.127.203.135
nameserver 216.148.225.135
search localhost

A little more information here:

I have changed my boot level to 3 so I would not come up in the KDE environment. The has had no effect.

The system sometimes comes up online and sometimes doesn't find the network on bootup.

When it does find the network on bootup the period of time it stays up varies from a few seconds to nearly a minute. Having the IPV6 mode enable or disabled does not appear to affect any of this.

Edited by sight4

OK, so I have a feeling then that the DNS servers you have configured, might actually not be available, which is why you're experiencing the problem. Let's try something.

From the command prompt, type:

nslookup

you'll get dropped at a prompt. Here is an example of what to type next, and let's see if it comes back with some results.

ian@europa:~$ nslookup
> set type=any
> server 194.204.159.1
Default server: 194.204.159.1
Address: 194.204.159.1#53
> linux.org
Server:		 194.204.159.1
Address:		194.204.159.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
linux.org	   nameserver = ns.invlogic.com.
linux.org	   nameserver = ns0.aitcom.net.

Authoritative answers can be found from:
linux.org	   nameserver = ns0.aitcom.net.
linux.org	   nameserver = ns.invlogic.com.
ns.invlogic.com internet address = 207.245.34.122
ns0.aitcom.net  internet address = 208.234.1.34

now, if you don't get a reply, it's because the nameserver I connected to above is most likely not available from your ISP.

What I would be tempted to do, is login to your router, and then see what DNS entries this obtained when it connected to the internet. And then try these entries in your /etc/resolv.conf file.

When I am connected to the network for those few seconds the name servers are available. Those that I have listed are the same ones that the router has found. I don't think I am so far as to have a DNS problem because I can't ping anything except the local machine (127.0.0.1)-- not even the router(192.168.1.1). So when I type ping 192.168.1.1 I get a timeout. I did give the instructions listed above a try and as expected it didn't find linux.org.

I think I need to go through the logfile and see what exactly happens between when the network comes up working and when the network stops working. This is based on the theory that some boot up command isn't executed until sometime after I am able to enter commands from console. The problem with that theory is it doesn't explain why sometimes the network comes up and sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps there are really two different problems.

Now one question that does occur to me is where does the local machine get its name on the network? In my case, when I look at the router, it is a string of characters I can't type: a U with two dots over it, a lower case u also with two dots over it, a square box representing a character that can't be displayed, a D with a slash through it, a double comma, and a superscripted lower case a of diminished font size. Other linux machines I have been on have all had names assigned to them by the system admin and that is how they appear on the network. How do I do that here?

Thanks

If you want to assign a proper hostname to the machine, do it either using System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer and configure the network adapter. Or, just simply edit /etc/sysconfig/network file and add:

HOSTNAME=mymachine

you can even append a domain name to the end of it if you like. Something like mymachine.mydomain.com for example.

It looks as though I was correct about there being two different problems (if not more). Once I assigned a host name the computer boots up on the network everytime now. The problem of losing the network connection right away (less than 1 minute) still remains. I didn't see any significant clues in the log files. One thing I did notice there was a note about nss-mdns should be loaded. Any idea what nss-mdns is and is there any chance that could be related to my problem?

mDNSResponder, or as it is now known avahi-daemon is to do with zeroconf across the network. You don't need this unless you're wanting to use zeroconf across your network.

I don't know a great deal about it, but I do know that I'm not using zeroconf from when I read a little bit about it a while ago. Just can't exactly remember what it was.