Dell gives desktop Linux its "full attention"

spinynorman

I'm sure there is interest in it, but to be frank, I am not sure if it accurately represents demand. If only one thing, Dell experienced that Linux users are one of the most networked communities in the world.

That being said, I voted too. Hey, you gotta play your hand when you have good cards in a round ;)

Some of the Dell users who suggested that the company offer Linux-loaded computers felt snubbed by news that it wouldn't. Dell had received some 1,800 suggestions through its IdeaStorm site clamoring for open-source solutions. Now, scores of complaints over Dell's decision not to preinstall Linux are springing up on the IdeaStorm comment board.

more here...

I can understand Dell's point. What 1 of the 200+ distro's do you pick? Pick the wrong one and you are gonna get a bad name and Dell suffers some of that already with support.

Linux: Choice is great but it can also be a it's downfall. Not really sure what kind of a strangle hold MS can have on Dell. If they make a good product with good hardware the consumer that wants to run Linux isn't going to care. Exactly tell me how MS can say hey..... Micheal Dell what do you think you are doing? We don't think you should do that or else!!

There is a market for a linux vendor to take Dell's hardware and

install customer's choice of distro. Then Dell wouldn't have to conflict

with Micro$oft, but can refer linux customers to another partner

company.

Just my 2 cents.

Sheng-Chieh

Ok good point, but name me one mom and pop or grandma and grandpa, hell even your everyday user who is going to know what distro to install and the benefits or workings of each distro?

Sorry there is just too many damn choices. I know that is a evil statement in the Linux world, but its the truth.

I think Dell should offer machines without a pre-installed OS. Make sure the hardware rocks with Linux and lets users install whatever distro they want. If you've covered your basis from a vanilla kernel module point of view, then it should be fine.

What most of the Linux users I know want is a laptop without an OS (or a Mac :cheeky: ). They don't mind installing one themselves, but they don't want to pay for Windows. Let them eat cake!