wireless nic works w/o encryption but not with wpa

Guest coho66

Hello all,

I"m new to linux, although I have played with an earlier version of mandrake and dabbled in unix, but this was many moons ago. So i am comfortable with command line interface, but I don't remember any of the linux commands or pertinent tools or software to use.

Anyways, I currently have an issue with trying to enable wpa with my trendnet tew-424 usb wireless nic (uses zd1211 chipset) in mandriva 2007 (powerpack).

I can get the network/internet to work fine without any encryption enabled, but I can't seem to connect to the internet while enabling wpa, regardless of whatever settings i've tried? The odd thing is i can obtain a network address using wpa through the wireless manager, but still no dice with eeenturnet access. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this process? All advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Coho

Have you got wpa_supplicant installed? Did you configure anything in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf?

I've got a sample one at home for basics, and it does work, but not got it to hand right now as not at home.

yup, wpa supplicant is installed...

but, still no dice???

in addition to regular dhcp, I tried manually configuring an ip and then it says "associated with eth2" upon successful connection with the router...and the browser will attempt to look for the domain i choose but never reaches a site...the signal strength is pitiful and the connection disconnects