Compaq nx6325

Guest jorge32

Guest jorge32

I have a couple of doubts about my compaq nx6325.

I want to install linux on it, but I have read a couple of problems about the use of it. On Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora and debian the computer overheats, ti reaches a temperature of 80º or something like that and it is a little bit risky. Also on none of them the fingerprint reader is working, and finally I don't know what is happenig with the AMD Turion 64x2. So could anyone help me ?

this are the specs of the computer:

• AMD Turion64x2
  • ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
  • 512 M RAM
  • 80 Gb harddisk

[moved from Hardware - arctic. Welcome aboard. :) ]

• 3 months later...

Hi Jorge,

I don't know if you're still checking this board. I would definitely consider checking out http://www.linux-laptop.net/ for your specific make and model to see if anyone has any success with it. While I didn't see an NX6325, I saw several models around it. Perhaps they share similar hardware. Further, people continually post pages to this list of links.

One option is to try a live CD version which is just a burned .ISO image to CD. You can boot to this CD and a minimized version of that distribution will boot. Perhaps this way you can see how much of the hardware is recognized by default. The hardware you listed seems excellent and most distros will probably support it. I do not know anything of fingerprint readers though and so don't know if they work or not.

I guess another option is to install it and then remove it if it doens't work or to install a vmware server to try it that way. Then, with the later option, you have no repartitioning.

Good luck,

Jon