Tracing software

I have a security dongle I need to get working with a custom kernel. It works correctly with a standard Mandriva kernel, but in addition to the dongle I need to patch the kernel to support a multiport serial board, and using a patched standard Mandriva kernel, only two of the four ports on the serial board will work. With a patched vanilla kernel the serial board works correctly but the dongle does not work.

My question therefore is: How do I find out which Mandriva patch it is that enables the dongle to work, without applying each patch in turn and building a new kernel for each?

I have tried loading and unloading modules, but none seem to make any difference.

PS This is for a system which is due to be deployed in about three weeks.....

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

• 2 weeks later...

This could end up being quite the piece of research. I'd think a good place to start would be to watch the output of dmesg when you attached the dongle under the Mandriva kernel. See what it identifies as, and then do some googling on that - you should be able to find information on how to get it working with the vanilla kernel. If not, well, more research will need to be done. You still have what, one and a half weeks? :unsure: