Minimum machine for KDE3.0.1 running smooth compared to W98

qeldroma

me:

PLEASE send me some machines, you know working smoothly with KDE3.0.1 compared to windows98!

+What is the minimum speed?

+What is the minimum memory?

------------------------------------------------------

truthsearch:

I started with a PIII 500 with 128mb ram (Dell). KDE 3 ran ok with some of the fanciest stuff turned off. I added another 256mb ram and now it's as smooth as can be with everything turned on.

Of course Win98 ran smooth with 128mb ram (until I erased it and replaced it with Linux Very Happy ), but has nothing in the way of eye candy. Maybe if some have gotten to compare with WinXP, which still isn't in the same league in my view, but has some fancy stuff like translucent menus.

Technonoid:

Processing speed wont get you anywhere with out Memory. 256mb is the minimum for a smooth running machine, however, more is better Very Happy

paul:

I have it running fine on a PentiumII 300 with 128Mb .. better than KDE2.2.2

me:

You're joking, are you?!!

JRG:

I'm running KDE 3.0.1 on a Pentium Pro 200 with 128 MB. It does have SCSI disks, so I get some extra performance there.

My only real problems at the moment are:

1) After launching Mozilla, KDE will not launch any other app. And, shutdown hangs (I can Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get a window, login as root and issue shutdown, but it hangs after the the first shutdown feedback message). It took me a while to figure out the culprit (I guess I'm slow Sad I almost gave up on Linux at that point).

2. I have 2 SCSI cards with a scanner on the second card. I can't get it to work (I've been getting some help through MandrakeExpert, but no luck so far).

DragonMage:

The lowest machine I put kde 3.01 is a p3-450 with 384 MB of RAM. The rest of the computer components are basically, well.. slow by today standard. A 40 MB 5400 RPM hd and 4 MB PCI video card. Running better than kde 2.22. A little slow on startup.. but after that, it flies.

I think it's the RAM that makes all the difference. Of course maybe I should change the vidcard also to at least a 16 mb. But it's not my own computer so what should I care?

gabbman:

400mhz Celeron, 320mg ram. Ticks along really well.

Additional old KDE3+speed-thread

ezroller:

I have an AMD 1ghz proc and 192 megs of ram. and while I'm sure that with some more memory KDE3 would fly, I have not noticed any drawbacks in usability. And for the record, I am extremely impatient. I have a lot of the eye candy running most of the time too.

KDE3 is just plain smooth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maarten Rommerts:

I have a computer with a AMD 450 mhz processor and 512 mb RAM. KDE 3.0.1 runs well, but can always be faster......especially compared to a system like Windows ME.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

jglen490:

Zitat:

I am using it on a 800MHz duron with 256MB. It's no speedy gonzalez, but ok to work.

Oh come on, get real Very Happy !! If that set up won't run KDE3 and Open Office, nothing will. KDE3 opens and runs slightly, but noticeably, faster and while OpenOffice is nobody's slim child, it isn't all that slow. I just got through posting on another thread about the speed of OpenOffice on my machine. My TP365XD lappie (P120/72MB/2.1GB) won't break any speed contests, but it's load up time isn't measured with a calendar either. Your machines will do fine.

xp needs lots more hardware to run at an acceptable rate.

I have seen it run on a p4 2000, 384mb ram and it's slow and unresponsive

also slow in amd 1200, 384mb ram.

kde3 runs great on a 700 duron 256mb sdram

733 p3 256mb sdram

anything with 256mb ram and up with a 700mhz processor is completely fine.

I don't have any lower spec computers to test, and the higher spec ones, well they run fine too of course.

oh i do have a cyrix 333 with 64meg edo ram, but that barely runs kde2.2.1 so i wouldn't bother.

maybe if it had 256meg of ram it would be bearable.