• Yes -install was good, and all is well
    • Yes -install was good, but I'm having some problems
    • Heh? -had problems during install, but I've got everything worked out now
    • No -had problems during install, and I'm still having a lot of problems

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have it mixed up with the Mel Brooks produced and directed "Blazing Saddles", in which Alex Karras, former Detroit Lions football 14 yr. star lineman knocked out a horse. Mel also gave us some wonderful sendups including the original film version of The Producers in which Zero Mostel and Alan Arkin combine to produce the worst musical in history to fleece investors with "Springtime for Hitler", which to their consternation turns into a Broadway success. The Producers just finished a real highly successful run on Broadway. Alex went on to become a sitcom star in "Webster". (I did need to look that up.)

Sorry it wasn't Arnold S. I don't need any more added to my post count. This is a freebe.

Counterspy

I think you have it mixed up with the Mel Brooks produced and directed "Blazing Saddles", in which Alex Karras, former Detroit Lions football 14 yr. star lineman knocked out a horse.  Mel also gave us some wonderful sendups including the original film version of The Producers in which Zero Mostel and Alan Arkin combine to produce the worst musical in history to fleece investors with "Springtime for Hitler", which to their consternation turns into a Broadway success.  The Producers just finished a real highly successful run on Broadway. Alex went on to become a sitcom star in "Webster".  (I did need to look that up.)

Sorry it wasn't Arnold S.  I don't need any more added to my post count.  This is a freebe.

Counterspy

ahhhh the villain was the only old western that i know arnold was in, i did not remember him punching a horse though.

Guest joehill

right, but in Blazing Saddles, they were spoofing the Treasure of the Sierra Madre. In fact, in Blazing Saddles, weren't the badges smiley faces?

I think you have it mixed up with the Mel Brooks produced and directed "Blazing Saddles", in which Alex Karras, former Detroit Lions football 14 yr. star lineman knocked out a horse

you are correct sir!

The western with Arnold was The Villain with Kirk Douglas & Ann-Margret. Arnold wore this powder blue cowboy outfit, and kind of played the part of Wile E. Coyote (from the Roadrunner cartoons), if I recall correctly. Ah, I missed where johhnyv answered that.

Guest joehill
Would that be "the villain" i was 4yrs old when it was made.

so johnnyv got it right first!

ok, mods, give him the extra 20 post count.

and since I was so freakin wrong AND offtopic, you can take them from me.

I don't need no stinkin gui :wink:

"Badges!? We don' need no stinkin' badges!"

Too easy. Troop Beverly Hills. As you can probably tell, I live in a house with 3 women.

Guest joehill
I don't need no stinkin gui :wink:

"Badges!? We don' need no stinkin' badges!"

Too easy. Troop Beverly Hills.

since Treasure of the Sierra Madre, it became one of the most spoofed lines in movie history. I seem to recall Bill Murray saying it in some movie...

I live in a house with 3 women.

ay caramba!

Guest Adriano

Well, to break the arnie thread: I installed it on a PII 400, with 128 mbs of RAM. It works well, none of the bugs encountered... Except for one big against: my motorola sm56 crapmodem won't work (not even with a recompile workaround) with kernels compiled with gcc 3.2. I'm trying to install gcc 2.9x and go from there...

Whahoo!...installed this evening and lovin it!

I like the new install config and the end (expert install). I was a little concerned during pkg install of cd1 though. The hd seemed to be doing something but the time said 27 minutes for like 10 minutes, then went to 26 minutes for a second and back up to 29 :shock: , then back to 27 for about 5 minutes, then asked for cd2.....then all was well.

Guest fubar::chi

well i'm listed on the main page as posting in every Talk Talk forum except this one so i'm just taking the sweep here :twisted:

Installation was flawless btw.

• 2 weeks later...

System had problems booting to KDE or GNOME after installation, that were related to a bad configuration of XFree86-4 (I'm not sure, but it seems it failed to create the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file). Others have reported that it is still possible to boot to IceWM or other lightweight WM in similar situations.

In KDE it displayed a blue background, a clockwatch in the center, and a fraction of the taskbar in the botton with 2 icons in it. HD was grinding, and grinding, and never recovered from the situation.

I fixed the problem by:

1. booting to runlevel 3

2. XFdrake --expert

3. Open the XFree86-4.3 tree (using the spacebar)

4. Selecting generic "sis" driver ("vesa" also WFM)

5. Plug-n-play monitor

6. Resolution (whatever supported by the card)

7. DON'T TEST (if I test, the program quits without saving the new config)

8. Quit and save

9. init 5 (or reboot)