• Yes -install was good, and all is well
    • Yes -install was good, but I'm having some problems
    • Heh? -had problems during install, but I've got everything worked out now
    • No -had problems during install, and I'm still having a lot of problems

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.. I found out about a problem in this topic thanks to a heads up by an attentive member. It seems that when you go to the section everything linux, there are two topic titles with similar name but going into the same thread. One is:

[ Poll ] To Mandrake 9.1, or not????

The other is:

Moved: To Makdrake 9.1, or not????

You see the difference right?

Anyway.. My guess is that when bvc renamed the thread, he left a shadow post or something.. resulting in two topics with similar name but going into the same thread. Can we fix this? I don't want to delete one topic but causing both threads to be deleted since it is not started by me in the first place. If not.. well..

Thanks for the attention.

Here's my suggestion. Copy this thread to a temporary thread with a new title (just add the word NEW to it to make it different). Then delete the two old threads. Then change the title of the new thread back. This is assuming the "copy thread" will not create two new threads.

errrr......take a wild guess, or filp a coin, or something.......this poll's too close :lol:

To Makdrake 9.1, or not????

Yes -install was good, and all is well                                       77% [ 17 ]

Yes -install was good, but I'm having some problems               13% [ 3 ]

Heh? -had problems during install, but I've got everything worked out now    4% [ 1 ]

No -had problems during install, and I'm still having a lot of problems      4% [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 22

Guest joehill

well, I do have some free space on HDA...

I was gonna try Debian on there, but, I dunno. I feel some sense of loyalty to Mandrake. They got me off the Windows train to hell...

Guest joehill

See, now this is what is so frustrating. All I want to do is upgrade to Galeon 1.2.9, but it would take me days of upgrading rpms.

Debian? apt-get install galeon 1.2.9

Getting Galeon 1.2.9 on deb would require updating all the same deps as well, and infact more so. Deb pkges are old....you'd have to upgrade 3/4 of the distro to get it. On dial up it would take a week. Apt-get's only a little better than urpmi....basically not as buggy and picky. There's always Texstars synaptic for mdk. Get Mandrake 9.1....see....you thought I was going off topic :lol:

Guest joehill

you know what I hate the most about you?

you are always so DAMNED right

but I think you are off on the deb packages being old, they do give you the option of choosing "stable" (boring) or "unstable" (Galeon 1.2.9, etc.) I did a *full* upgrade from Debian 3.0 stable to "unstable" cutting edge packages (like Gnome 2.2, KDE 3.1, and many many more) in about 3 hours.

and if I ever have to use dialup again, it will be a moot point, because I will blow my freaking brains out.

I should check out Synaptic, have you ever tried it? I install from source mostly now anyway, rpm just for the stuff I don't want to hose my sys.

I should check out Synaptic, have you ever tried it? I install from source mostly now anyway, rpm just for the stuff I don't want to hose my sys.
Yep....it's pretty nice...basically a graphical urpmi I guess. Went back to urpmi though. I don't need no stinkin gui :wink:

Yes...it's for rpm, and I think mdk only, though there's a version for rh as well.

Guest joehill
I don't need no stinkin gui :wink:

"Badges!? We don' need no stinkin' badges!"

20 Post counts added to the person who can tell me what movie that is from, though you will be seriously betraying your true age (oooooold timer).

I'll give you a hint, Arnold Schwartzenbugger was in it, one of his 1st movies, and he punched a horse.

End of Incredibly offtopic post.