Gnome vs. KDE

Guest zebo

I'm going to be a smartarse and say XFCE4.4. Huge improvement over past releases.
Indeed, XFCE4.4 is great, but, from what I read on other sites, it is not really lightweight anymore but needs almost as much RAM as KDE and Gnome. But I could be wrong.

E-17 on the other hand runs with even 64 MB RAM. :)

I'm going to be a smartarse and say XFCE4.4. Huge improvement over past releases.

Indeed, XFCE4.4 is great, but, from what I read on other sites, it is not really lightweight anymore but needs almost as much RAM as KDE and Gnome. But I could be wrong.

numbers? I suppose it depends on how you use it.

XFCE have implemented a lot of third party apps themselves now, terminal, a decent file manager and such.

XFCE alone might be more, but pulling up a file manager shouldnt cost you anything, as it uses thunar which will already be running, and pulling up Terminal shouldnt cost much either, as it's built on XFCE libs which will be in ram.

I find it extremely laughable that all the reasons the original poster presented as the reasons for his preference for using Gnome are exactly the reasons I prefer KDE.

I don't find KDE to be anything like windows in use.

I have personally used 98, NT, 2000 and found them easy to use but not in the same way that kde is easy to use.

That is the only thing they have in common is namely easy to use, and NOT why or how they are easy to use.

I hated nothing more than XP when I needed to use my eldest daughters' computer or to fix a problem for her.

I found it to be the least intuitive of all. :wall::wall::wall:

As Gowater and others have said, if you prefer gnome then that is great for you but Gnome and KDE are just two parts of Linux (Gnu/Linux if you prefer) that enable us all to exercise our preferences and personal tastes, something you CANNOT do with Windows even with some third party addons.

Delighted KDE user and great respecter of Gnome (I use a large number of truly great Gnome applications). :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Cheers. John.

Hello Gowater.

I hope you didn't think I was taking a jab you because I certainly wasn't I can assure you. You made excellent points, in my view.

Cheers. John.

Not in the slightest, I'm guessing I read the post like you thinking "but those are all my reasons I use KDE"

As you know I'm rarely so brief but this time my answer was written for me.

I find KDE much more comfortable for me than GNome..

The placement, styles and features of KDE are more nice for my needs..

But I have noted that GNome might be a better solution for people indulged in deep programming as it offers more tools and features.. but i dnt know how far this is true?

I prefer KDE. I guess in my case it was a first impression.

The first Linux distro I tried was Fedora Core 1. It ran dog slow on my comp..and used Gnome for a desktop. I found it very spartan and everything was locked down permission-wise.

I remember thinking that it's suited fine for a business environment but not a desktop I would want to use everyday.

The next distro I tried was Mandrake 10.0 and when I booted into KDE my first thought was Ahh this is more like it.

Gnome seemed unpolished in comparison when I booted into it. I really don't like the panel being at the top of the screen either.

I know I could probably reconfigure it to my liking but I'm a creature of habit and just feel more comfortable in KDE. I do use gedit instead of kwrite and several other gnome apps though :D