Gnome vs. KDE

Guest zebo

I don't want to start a flame war but from several different experiences I have concluded that for me, Gnome is the only useable WM. All the rest seem OK but the worst of the worst is KDE. I can't stand it. It is completely counter-intuitive. I don't think i have ever been able to get anything working right with KDE. Gnome on the other hand works just like i would expect an operating system to. In addition, gnome is faster (from my experience) and cooler looking. KDE looks tacky. please share your thoughts on this matter. If you prefer KDE, tell us why. If you like Gnome like I do, add aditional reasons for your preference.

Welcome aboard. :)

As you might imagine, this topic has been discussed endlessly everywere (even on this board it has been discussed at great lengths). So I will only say one thing.

Different users - different needs - different approaches - different solutions.

That translates into: Use what you like as long as it works for you. ;)

LOL I prefer KDE for all the same reasons you prefer Gnome...

That's because I am used to KDE and comfortable with it...

"KDE looks tacky."

Beauty is in the eye f the beholder....

I find KDE much easier to make it look the way like it... but that's just the way I like it...

I use KDE. I've tried using Gnome in my new install of (k)ubuntu, but it crashes a lot, especially if I try to change themes, and then a lot of the stuff becomes unusable. Don't know why.

So, I've stuck with KDE mostly. Because I'm familiar with it and like it.

KDE for me, to me gnome just seems so sparse, empty, don't really like the look of it, just not what I want I guess. I also find KDE to be as fast if not faster than gnome on my systems, (P4 3.4Ghz, 2 gig RAM etc, P4 3.2Ghz, 2 gig RAM etc) definitely not slower. Plus I'm used to it, and see no need to change, I tried gnome out briefly just to see what it was like, but never really liked what I saw.

Like others have said, use what you like the best, what suits your needs the best, don't worry about what others think or say, what's best for you, that is what's best. Everything seems to turn into a battle, Windows v Linux, Ubuntu v (insert distro here), Intel v AMD, Nvidia v ATI, Quake v Unreal (and we all know Quake is the King ;) ), and on and on it goes, it all doesn't really matter, as long as your happy with what you got, who cares.

I'm a gnome fan boy.

For me, there is no noticable difference in speed between the two. The difference is in the design.

GNOME aims to be simple - don't overload things with so many options that people get lost in them. It's more of an Apple/OS X approach to desktop design. GNOME doesn't pre-load too much data, at least in my research, leaving things to be loaded on a need-basis; this can slow down the initial load time of some apps.

KDE aims to be configurable. give the users all the options available and let them poke and prod to the end of the days. It's more of a Windows approach to desktop design. People who use KDE may notice a speed increase after login due to all the stuff that KDE loads (IMHO, prematurely) at login so that it loads quicker when you start the program.

At least, that has been my experience and my understanding. There are a lot of old stereotypes in the KDE v. GNOME war, but I think in the end it all comes down to your preferences regarding the design of the desktop environment: if you prefer more windows-esque, KDE might suite you better. If you find you like OS X, then go try GNOME.

I use them both so I can assist others who use either. You can make either do most everything a normal person would want. Hey, but we are not all normal so I guess that is why this issue starts so many flame wars :) If I had to lean one way or the other I would go Gnome for the simple design like Tyme mentioned.

Cheers,

-Bill

I will state the obvious, as one can read on just about any linux forum on the internet!

KDE (which I prefer) tends to be very "windowish" in feel and appearance, although it is more robust and articulable than windows will ever be. I recommend KDE to folks coming from the dark side into the light. Gnome, also a fine desktop, tends to be "macish" in its presentation. Like KDE, Gnome is infinitely articulable. I have set up desktops to be as identical as possible with both and have never found any difference in out-right use-- not in speed, not in anything. Now, friends have told me that actually working with Gnome is easier than KDE. Since I do not really program, I can't offer any input on that.

The real toy is the new Enlightenment, which is coming along nicely, but slowly! B)

I've heard people say that kde is more difficult to use but maybe it's because I'm used to it that I find it very easy to use. I've just never liked the feel of gnome although to be honest I've never used it much cause it just didn't appeal to me.

I've heard people say that kde is more difficult to use but maybe it's because I'm used to it that I find it very easy to use. I've just never liked the feel of gnome although to be honest I've never used it much cause it just didn't appeal to me.

Hmm that got me thinking...

I wonder if your 2nd DM is sorta special ?

When I started off with Linux I used Gnome and of course I was learning and new so everything was a bit confusing... by the time I switched to KDE I was much more experienced ..

In many way's I had played about with Gnome then got bored etc. so the impetus of a new DM got me playing about a bit... so for me KDE was that ...

Looking back I think that my experience level when I switched was what perhaps made the difference for me and perhaps had I gone the otherway I'd be a Gnomie now?