how to change lilo bootsplash and more?

AleXxiO

:wall: i'm stuck

this is my problem: my lilo is textual, the os loading is textual. this is because i tried to change the default ones, and from that moment on, i lost the graphic settings ..

can you please help me restoring the default settings and have a graphic lilo and os starting?

more, i also tried to change the background image that appears when asks me for which user to log ... how to do that?

i tried to solve at these stuff by my own from the CONTROL CENTER, but everything i did was unuseful..

thanks for help! bye

For lilo graphical login post the content of /etc/lilo.conf so we can see which options you have there.

To choose the background image for the login manager, if you are using gdm, in a terminal run as root gdmsetup. I'm not sure for kdm, but I think there is an app called kdm theme manager which lets you manage them.

[root@localhost alexxio]# cat /etc/lilo.conf

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot

# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

default="linux"

boot=/dev/hda

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"

vga=791

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe splash=silent resume=/dev/hda6"

Guest a_r_schulz

(Happens to me whenever I install new kernels, since the 'install_kernel' script seems to insist on dropping the graphical lilo menu in favour of the plain text menu...)

For graphical LILO, you will have to replace

message=/boot/message

by something like:

bitmap=/boot/lilo-splash.bmp

(check your /boot for some .bmp file)

see also: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Graphical_Lilo

AFAIR there was also a way to include the text position and colour settings into the .bmp file (which I had done some time ago, so I don't need those extra lines mentioned in the WIKI).

I've just checked drakconfig - apparently they have dropped graphical LILO in favour of GRUB (if they ever had it at all..)

this is my problem: my lilo is textual, the os loading is textual. this is because i tried to change the default ones, and from that moment on, i lost the graphic settings ..

The easy way to do this is to make sure you have installed the bootsplash and bootsplash-themes packages.

Open mcc > boot > select the graphical theme of the system while booting > theme