Mandriva on USB

pipa

I just need some info about the Mandriva on USB.

Questions:

Do I need to buy it or I can download it free also (USB Version)?

Is it same as CD version (Mandriva One)?

Is it possible to boot the system from the USB (like we have an option of booting from CD-ROM)?

Will the mandriva from USB be able to see files in WIN XP hardrive of the system?

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

I ve been looking into that recently. No you do not need to bother with the key from Mandriva. go to www.mcnlive.org and you have there a free usb install based on mandriva.

Depending on the size of you key you will install MCNLive 'Jordaan', 'Leuven' or 'Cherbourg.

I have a 512MB only so I stuck with Jordaan which is perfect for my personal use.

Enjoy!

Stef

Thanks for ur suggestion. It worked out great.

As I am new to linux so I have some irritating questions:

1. I booted my system(512 MB RAM) from USB (2 GB) using virtual city. It loads perfectly. I configured my wireless connection, it worked beautifully. The only problem is that when I reboot the system from the same USB, all the setting are gone ....i.e. I have to reconfigure EVERY SINGLE THING. Am I missing something?

2. I have the intel graphic card, so 3D desktop should work but it gives me some errors when I follow the steps. After that it goes to console mode (when I say end session, during the process) and when I type KDE on console it doesn't load KDE and gives me some more error messages.

3. I want to work on C++ using VIM editor. It doesn't have G++. I tried installing it from software install but it still doesn't work at all.

Please help.

Hi Pipa,

it's probably a better idea, to direct your questions, regarding MCNlive, directly at the maintainer of MCNLive. She has an International board, at which you can post your questions in English. The board is a Dutch board, but there is an international section, especially for MCNLive at which you can direct your questions directly at the maintainer and creator of MCNLive. http://www.mandrivaclub.nl/site/index.php?showforum=31

1. I booted my system(512 MB RAM) from USB (2 GB) using virtual city. It loads perfectly. I configured my wireless connection, it worked beautifully. The only problem is that when I reboot the system from the same USB, all the setting are gone ....i.e. I have to reconfigure EVERY SINGLE THING. Am I missing something?

2. I have the intel graphic card, so 3D desktop should work but it gives me some errors when I follow the steps. After that it goes to console mode (when I say end session, during the process) and when I type KDE on console it doesn't load KDE and gives me some more error messages.

Hi pipa,

let me explain some basic things. What you are seeing is the magic of a live system. No matter if it is a live cd or live usb. The system wide settings are always gone when you reboot. To keep your personal settings there are small wizards included in MCNLive.

You can find more about this concept here: www.mcnlive.org/mcnlive.htm.

Here are some tips for installing additional software:

http://www.mandrivaclub.nl/site/index.php?showtopic=7916

When you open a browser in MCNLive, click on Howto remaster, and you will find a step-by-step how you can roll your own version, including all your favorite software.

Regarding the Intel video card and 3D. Most Intel card will work just fine, following the steps you see explained on the wallpaper on MCNLive. But some, very old ones, won't work.