Mandriva / ADSL Internet [solved]

biddu

Hi all,

I am a newbie to the linux and have just installed Mandriva. (BTW I'm also not experienced in installing O/S)During installation and during the config for network, there were the options of DHCP and others(I forget the exact letters). As I did not know what type of connectuion I have except that it is a Tiscali ADSL connected through a Modem using a USB. I chose DHCP.

The Mandriva O/S has not recognised the network or the Modem and I find that only the Power light on the Modem is ON ( Modem is Sagem F@st 800 E3) while the ADFSL light is not ON.

I know I have to configure the network but if some one can guide me step by step I shall be grateful.

Biddu

Hi,

I have configuired the connection as pppoA but after that the browser still cannot connect to the Internet.

When I go in the system config, it gives me a screen in the "Managing connections" section where I am given 2 choices for the Device:(in the drop down box)

1. eth0: VIA Tech Inc|VT 6102 [Rhine II 10/100] .... this is the LAN card in the system

2. adsl: (ppp0) ......... this is the type of connection I have. Tiscali UK ADSL.........I chose this.<

In the TCP/IP section, in the IP configure subsection the screen gives in 3 choices in the Protocol,

a. none................ I chose none.

b. Static

c. DHCP

The next boxes of Net mask and Gateway are in subdued text (cannot be selected), DNS server is blank and again the cursor cannot be placed in the box. Search domain has "none" filled in.

In the Miscellaneous Internet settings section, the screen asks for

1. Host name

2. 1st DNS server.

3. 2nd DNS server

4. 3rd DNS server

all are optional choices.

Kindly guide if the choices made are correct if not what are the correct choices.

Thanks

You should use DHCP for the Tiscali connection. An Internet connection requires an IP address. Mostly, ISP's choose DHCP to assign you with an IP address each time you connect. This also sorts out your DNS servers and default gateway.

Some ISP's do give static IP's, but I know that Tiscali doesn't. At least, since my parents use Tiscali, and have DHCP assigned IP.

This time I tried connecting to the Internet. I got a error message that the machine does not have "/lib/firmware/ueagle-atm/eagle*.fw", therefore I downloaded the file fm eagleusb. I also downloaded the driver software for my Sagem f@st 800 modem. Both are stored in the files on my desktop. How do I copy these files to the Linux so that my driver error msg is removed? Pls guide.

Hi again,

I have copied the ueagle 1.1 fw files to /lib/firmware/ueagle-atm/ueagle-data-1.1. After this I reconfigured the Internet connection and set to pppOA. However I am still not being able to connect to the Internet.

In the boot up process, I can go to the verbose mode by pressing ESC but I cannot go to the interactive mode by pressing i. The key is perhaps not accepted and the booting continues at its own pace. Secondly I find that the in the boot up the connection tothe Inetrnet FAILED message is present also shows as the address 0.38 (this is the address given by Tiscali,Uk) as not available for use.

What am I doing wrong?

Again I have to thank all the people , especially ianw1974 and arctic for patiently trying to help me. I am sure that I would not have got this type of response/support from a Software selling firm aftersales.

Are all cables connected tcorrectly? Did you run eagleconfig and are you sure that you made no typo? And did you set up a new DSL-connection over USB in the Mandriva Control Center already? If not, do these steps now.

Once that is done, open a terminal, log in as root and check if everything works.

Start the connection:

startadsl

Check if you can ping a site:

ping -c1 www.google.com

If you get an unknown host reply, then run the eagle diagnosetool

eaglediag -msc

1.All the cables are connected correctly (I guess) as I am using the same computer (in windows) to connect to the net.

2. I have not run eagleconfig as I was under the impression that this will run at startup automatically when the files are in the system. I notice that there are two sub directories i.e ueagle-atm/ueagle-data-1.1 instead of one as suggested. Will this create a problem?

3. Yes I did set up a new connection, pppOA in the Control Centre.

I shall try the startadsl, ping and eaglediag-msc. I am not sure how to run the eagleconfig.

Run eagleconfig from a terminal as root.

I have no idea if having the two directories will hurt, as I don't have an eagleusb modem. *shrug*

I shall try the startadsl, ping and eaglediag-msc

Yes, after you have run eagleconfig

Hi again,

I tried out startadsl in the root and it returned as :no such command

I have observed the following

1. During start boot up.. one of the messages is

connection .......................terminated; the next line is

0,38 ................................already in use

This 0.38 refers to the VCI/VCP for connection to tiscali.

2. On the modem only POWER light is ON the ADSL light remains OFF.

3. I tried the ifconfigure -a and got a output but it says 0 transmitted, 0 recd etc.

4. The lib/firmware contains 2 sub directories........../ueagle-atm and /ueagle-data-1.1. The ueagle-atm does not contain any file.(I must have created the other sub dir when I was copying). I tried to remove it but the console returns that no such dir or file found. I tried to rename it but again the returned message says the same thing as no such dir found. The other sub dir.../ueagle-data-1.1 contains the actual tar files (extracted).

I tried using mv -T /ueagle-atm /oldeagle but the same msg was returned. Are the sub dir in conflict?

I tried going to /lib/firmware/ueagle-data-1.1 and giving command autogen.sh which returned as no such command.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I just got tired connecting to the Net using the USB connection and got a Router to connect. This worked like magic and I now am connected tothe Internet using Mandriva as OS. Thanks for all the responses and the enthusiasm shown by the members in replying to my queries, it always pepped me up.