HowTo making cups-printers public in LAN?

qeldroma

me:

How do i do it?

Printer are connected to different clients, there is one server, and everyone should be able to print on every printer!

-----------------------------------------------

delboy711:

How do you mean "public in the Lan"? Do you mean in a Windows network environment, or in a Linux or Unix network?

If it is a Windows environment then your CUPS printers will be available for any Windows client if you are running Samba server.

If a Linux environment then any Linux computer running CUPS will find any printer on any other computer running CUPS. You do not even need to run CUPS server on each machine so long as you define which CUPS server they should connect to. Printerdrake will set this all up for you, or else run kups and check out the server configuration.

me:

It'S a homogen Linux-LAN (YEAH!!!)

So, one must be configured as server.....

And that is done by printerdrake? So i can choose all LAN-wide printers automatically when i'm starting this tool?

My problem is by now, that i can't test it. I have to do it for a small corp under the hand in one week

linuxtech:

If you use mandrake and cups in all comuters , one working as a printe server,

its all ok , only some programs (gnome or others ) not recognize the printer but using KDE programs its all ok all programs can print in Cups printers wihtout any configuration in the clients PC.

me:

And how do i define the printerserver?

Is that an option in printerdrake?

delboy711:

Yes Its real easy. Just run Printerdrake. Go into Advanced mode, and select the CUPS server to port 631 on the IP address of your print server, and thats it. You do not even need CUPS to be running on the local machine.

Alternatively if several machines have printers just select the CUPS server to be port 631 on localhost and CUPS will start locally, and all the printers will be shared.

If you run into problems just run kups where you have more control over the individual settings.