Show Off Your Network!

sjaglin

Hi there!

I've been trying to tidy-up a bit my little home network and I m interested to see what other people have done.

In terms of software firewall for my linux box, I used firestarter and am trying firewall builder. I've never liked shorewall, I don t find it user friendly, even with webmin tools.

So come on show us your network!

Stef

:D

Edited by sjaglin@yahoo.co.uk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice network diagram, what did you use to create that? I can't find anything similar in dia or kivio that do that. Or even OpenOffice Draw :)

I have two desktop PC's connected to a ServGate hardware firewall. Also connected to this is a Netgear Wireless Access point. Connected to the WAN port on the firewall is my Netgear ADSL Router. Three laptops access the network via the wireless. Since the wireless is on the LAN side of the firewall, it's protected from the internet. So:

Laptop1+2+3 --> WLAN --> ServGate Firewall --> ADSL Router

Desktop1+2 --> ServGate Firewall --> ADSL Router

Hi Ian,

Impressive network, do you serve all your neighbours as well?? :lol2:

I used OpenOffice Draw with only official (free) pictures and some pictures from manufacturers of my devices.

Thanks for sharing you network's design with me! Any of you gear running windoze or is it all pure stuff?

Stef

:thumbs:

Nope, all secured with WPA on the wireless front. Although the essid is being broadcast so I can at least detect and see it. Others can too, but they won't be able to get on it ;)

I'll check out OpenOffice Draw. I looked briefly, but couldn't find the pics, etc.

Desktop 1 is completely Linux. Currently Mandriva 2007

Desktop 2 is completely Linux. Currently Mandriva 2006 serving printing (cups) Canon BJC2100.

Laptop 1 is Windows XP unfortunately - supporting Dad's Office. And only 20GB so difficult for dual boot without losing space for one thing or another.

Laptop 2 is Windows XP and Linux, but the wife only uses Linux for Frozen Bubble.

Laptop 3 is my work laptop, 8GB to Windows XP, the rest of the 80GB disk to Linux, currently running Kubuntu 6.10 (Edgy).

I only boot Windows if and when I have to, and only for that. Otherwise, I'm completely in Linux. Just have Windows for support, and the odd occasion I might need it.

well... ok i got bored and joined in:

http://iphitus.loudas.com/images/network.png

the wep network is for my own uses and testing.

firewalls are on my computers because well, i felt like messing with iptables, it's on my dad's because he uses the horrendous norton internet security package. But hey, security is better layered.

James

Edited by iphitus

cable modem

|

wired router with firewall

|----------| -----|--PC2

|----------|

|----------|wireless router (daisy chained) ---> Laptop

|

| eth0 -> ip_queue -> snort inline -> iptables (shorewall) -> PC1 application

Also tried PC1 to PC2 direct eth0 to eth0 Xwired connection

Planning to try an adsl+cable dual connection (failover test)

Planning to test alternative to snortinline

Planning one day to make one PC as gateway to another instead of going via wired router

Home setup:

Cabled router with modem and firewall

|

|_ Desktop1 with firewall === (Data storage and exchange)

|_ Desktop2 with firewall ___ Scanner === (Image manipulation)

|_ Desktop3 with firewall ___ Printer === (Publishing)

|_ Desktop4 with firewall ___ Printer === (Publishing)

|

|_ Laptop 1 === (Publishing)

|_ Laptop 2 === (Publishing)

+ two other Desktop machines, not connected to a network.

At work, we have way over 200 computers (Macs and Dell PCs) connected to many proxy servers, internal and external servers... way to complicated for making a sketch of it. (luckilyI don't have to maintain that network :rolleyes:)

osx desktop.

linux server (gentoo)

windows desktop

windows laptop X2

dlink WAP (un-encrypted, free to the open air)

freebsd firewall

* 3.2ghz wireless link to ISP (ICONZ)

* 3.2ghz wireless link to ISP (WAVE)

* 2.4ghz wireless link to private WAN (file sharing with friends around the country)

firewall also hosts vpn server for road warrior paul ;)

and vpn client to connect to work

Looks like I need some more toys for my birthday

Why? One system that works and helps you to do your job efficiently is enough imho. I will move into a new city soon and I will greatly reduce the number of computers at my home. There will be perhaps one desktop PC and one or two laptops, nothing else. The less systems I have, the better I can support them. ;) As my new job supports me with everything I need, I do not really need that many computers in my private office any more. :)

:lol:

Well, at least the Linux on it is dedicated for Frozen Bubble, since I can't get her to do anything else in Linux to get rid of Windows unfortunately.

But, as long as she's happy, I'm OK with it :)

:lol:

Well, at least the Linux on it is dedicated for Frozen Bubble, since I can't get her to do anything else in Linux to get rid of Windows unfortunately.

But, as long as she's happy, I'm OK with it :)

Yeah, my girlfriend (Sarah on the network plan) uses my machine to play tux-racer, sometime we do a one to one on tuxracer on my machine. I wonder if it s possible to play tuxracer with her on her laptop (winXP) and me on me machine via LAN.

Have to look into that. Pffffff, time to go to work first!

Arctic, I understand how you feel about having enough with one PC at home, only a "game" for me as I can t use my PCs at work except to print prescriptions or/and see patient's records! No playing or fidling and certainly not with security and firewalls! Although I manage to have a play now and again (stress reliever) by booting on me USB key (MNLive)! I d like to have a TREO of some sort wireless to my mobile phone and SSH to my machine, at least I could keep an eye on my downloads :D

Stephane.