trouble with belkin 802.11g pcmcia card

Guest rick8007

Guest rick8007

Hi all, I'm a Mandrake 05 LE (and linux period) newbie, and I've been using it for around a week or so now on my laptop. The problem I have is with getting a belkin wireless card to work. (model # f5d7011)

I found the driver that is supposed to run it on linux.

I downloaded the exe file, unzipped, and opened ndiswrapper.

I tell ndis what file to use, in this case bcmwl5a.

Upon doing this, a wizard starts and runs you through the rest. I have my wireless router wide open b/c I've heard of trouble getting encryption to work, I just input the name that my router is broadcasting.

When I get to the end, it asks if I want others to be able to start it, I say yes, then it asks if I want to restart the network, again, I say yes. Then it restarts and nothing ever happens. The lights on the card itself don't illuminate.

I go into the console and command ndiswrapper to list what it has, and this is what I get.

[localhost]# ndiswrapper -l

bcmwl5a driver present

start.exe invalid driver!

Is it looking for another ini file to boot the card or something?

I'm confused please help.

Hi all, I'm a Mandrake 05 LE (and linux period) newbie, and I've been using it for around a week or so now on my laptop. The problem I have is with getting a belkin wireless card to work. (model # f5d7011)

You would be better off using a more recent version of Mandriva. It would make this easier to do, and it would work better with the newer kernel... If you still want to use Mandrake 05 LE -

Make sure your using the proper driver:

The Belkin F5D7011 uses the bcmwl5.inf driver

The Belkin F5D7011ef uses the bcmwl5a.inf driver

Since you have an older version of Mandrake (with an older kernel) you should use a more recent version of ndiswrapper. The latest stable version is 1.37 and can be found here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=93482

You should also use the instructions from here:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...hp/Installation

This will appear to be very complicated to a Linux newbie, but just follow the instructions carefully and you should be ok. :)