Torrent Software

Artemis

BitTorrent? That's at least the most common one I think. Don't know whether it's "good" or "the best" because it's the only one I've used, but it works fine.

I've tried installing Bittorrent but get errors everytime. Any pointers?

azureus is a common one, though you need Java installed to run it.

I downloaded azureus and couldnt get it to work. Perhaps its because I dont have java installed. I am new to linux and have no idea how or where to get java.

Install wine and once that's set up, get a copy of the utorrent .exe. uTorrent is in my oppinion the best Torrent Software hands down. If by chance that doesn't work for you, ktorrent is also pretty good, and if all else fails, you can grab Azurous, but it is a resource hog at times. To get Azourus working you will need java istalled, becuase it is a java application.

uTorrent's Linux client doesn't come anywhere close to it's windows client, so just run the windows client on Linux and get the best of both worlds.

Edited by guppetto

To get Azourus working you will need java istalled, becuase it is a java application.
I'm pretty sure we already covered that ;) - and you're trying to send a guy who isn't sure how to get java installed off to install/configure wine? :unsure:

Anyways, to get java installed you should try this FAQ.

If you don't wanna install Java then install ktorrent. If you wanna install Java thenI think plf has a package of it. Do not use the Azureus package in the Mandriva repo it doesn't work because it was compiled with a free Java VM, don't know which exactly.

To add plf repos visit easyurpmi (see top of this page).

I downloaded azureus and couldnt get it to work. Perhaps its because I dont have java installed. I am new to linux and have no idea how or where to get java.

If you install it via Mandriva Control Center it should select java at the same time, if you have done what it says here in the wiki or here for a direct link.

To get Azourus working you will need java istalled, becuase it is a java application.
I'm pretty sure we already covered that ;) - and you're trying to send a guy who isn't sure how to get java installed off to install/configure wine? :unsure:

Anyways, to get java installed you should try this FAQ.

I suppose you're correct, wine is exactly for the faint of heart :thumbs: , but I think there are rpms availible now so actually configuring wine isn't really necessary. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have download the bittorent files to my pc but i can't install due to failed dependencies. I try to search the files and download it but i after downloaded the files. Something happen, i forgot it.

When i typed urpmi bittorent file, display an error message which is continued to install even though doesn't not match the dependencies.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Guest VilasIndia

I have both Ktorrent and Azureus working on Mandriva 2007. Bittotorent was also installeled But some how I dislike this. Further I am using Ktorrent and Azureus at the same time and do not experince any slowness in the system.

I use the ncurses bittorrent client as it offers a high level of control and since it is a CLI application I run it on a blind box over ssh using Screen.

If you want a GUI app though I'd also recommend going for Azureus. It has tons of features and just works well. You should have java installed anyway :cheeky:

But since you don't... you can grab java with urpmi, although I have not done it for a while so I'm not going to paste a direct command. Otherwise visit Sun Microsystems' Java installation site and download the right Java package which comes with instructions ;)