Connect to Mysql from Windows [solved]

SilverSurfer60

I don't know if this can be done but here goes. I have a mysql database on one of my linux boxes which I want to connect to from a windows box, not a window box ;) , a computer running windows. Is there any way of doing this? Perhaps html as I already have a webserver running on this linux box. Not sure where to start so any suggestions welcome. I wold prefer to do a straight connection rather than html if possible. TIA

you could use phpmyadmin if you want a web interface. you have to have php set up on the web server.

there are sql clients available for windows, programs that you run to manage databases, but I've personally never used any so I can't suggest one.

Solved with a lot of heartache, brain bashing and our friend google. The thing to do was download a driver from mysql website, create a new connection,dns in windows and make the connection. Easy peasy when you know how. Maybe this will be of help to someone struggling with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please show step by step on how to solve this problem because i already installed mySQl database server but don't know how to use it ?

Your help is greatly appreiated.

Hope GOD will blessed you.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.Thanks for your help.Thanks for your help.

Step by step I did as follows. Download from Mysql website the drivers for windows Mysql ODBC 3.51

Install this on the windows machine. Go to control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Data Sources.

Add a user data source pointing to my mysql server. Note replace 'my' to wherever 'your' server resides.

That's it. Of course you will need a data source or DSN as it is known for each database connection that you need to use.

It is that simple. Once you have done it you will be able to repeat with ease.

I trust you can follow the directions, I am more of a doer than explainer of how I did it. B)