Problems with usb webcams in kernel 2.6.17-8

RVDowning

Upgraded kernel yesterday from 2.6.17-5 to 2.6.17-6 and then realized that 2.6.17-8 was the latest, so installed that. My three usb webcams work fine in -5 and -6, but in -8 the files /dev/video0, /dev/video1 and /dev/video2 do not get created. Had to revert back to 2.6.17-6. The usb entries in dmesg look fine to me, (at least as far as I can realize what I am looking at). Any ideas?

Not sure what you mean by "which modules do your webcams use?" Do you mean the driver? (Driver: spca5xx) If not, how do I find out? Does the driver have to be reinstalled after upgrading the kernel? (I didn't do that for 2.6.17-6)

Presumably the same modules would be used on 2.6.17-8 that were used on 2.6.17-6. The upgrade from -5 to -6 worked, but not the one to -8.

Edited by RVDowning

just butting in ere' until artee continues - yes I believe he does mean driver. So you use the spca5xx module ok. When you boot into your new kernel can you do a

lsmod

as root in the CLI (Terminal) & see if the spca5xx is listed. If it is try a

rmmod spca5xx

(which will unload it) then

insmod spca5xx

(which will reload it) & see how you go from there. If the spca5xx module isn't listed just do a

insmod spca5xx

Unfortuately I use 'pwc' so I can't be precise but see how you go..

HTH

Edited by jaraeez

I had the problem (maybe the same). For me, it was caused by dkms-spca.

If you use it, install the kernel-source for the kernel. And then (in root)

cd /usr/src/linux

make menuconfig

(This is, because the file version.h is not included in the kernel-source :wall: , so one must build it!!!!!!!!! Thanks to Mr. Mandriva :furious3: )

Reboot, and now all must be fine

Good luck

Joaopa

Edited by joaopa

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. By the time I got around to try the suggestions, 2.6.17-11 was available, so tried the same thing. Same problem.

jareez: didn't see spca5xx listed in lsmod.

joaopa: tried the make menuconfig, but that gives me a Linux Kernel Configuration screen, and am not sure what to do at this point.

Guess I'll go back to previous kernel again. sigh..... :(

I had been using the spca5xx module from: gspcav1-20060925.tar.gz that I had downloaded, instead of the dkms-spca module in 2.6.17-6 and this has been working fine. I did a urpmi of dkms-spca on 2.6.17-11, rebooted, and that seemed to do the trick -- at least I think so. However, I'm getting sysem freezes using 2.6.17-11. Don't know whether these freezes are related to web cam stuff or this module or what. I end up having to reboot to clear the freeze. This happened several times. So, I went back to 2.6.17-6.

I also installed the dkms-spca module in 2.6.17-6. I'm confused though. Since I had originally installed the spca module from the tar.gz file, and have also done the install of the dkms item, I'm not really sure what I'm using or how to find out.

Also not sure how to find out anything further about my 2.6.17-11 freezes.

By the way, in lsmod, I see gspca listed. Not sure whethere that was there before I installed dmks-spca or not. I might have just missed it.

Well, had a crash this morning on 2.6.17-6 after bringing up my webcams. So, I removed dkms-spca and have been fine since. Can't get webcams to work on 2.6.17-11 without it though. So I guess I am just stuck on this kernel.

The problem could also be that I just don't know enough about what I'm doing. I didn't deinstall anything before doing the urpmi dkms-spca. Not sure what I should have done. I may have had two "copies" of the spca5xx driver loaded and had a conflict there.

UPDATE:

From info in a chat group I tried dkms-gspcav1. It was available on contrib backports. It seems to be working I haven't crashed yet. Will update again if I experience any problems.

Edited by RVDowning