9.1 on HP Omnibook XE3

Guest zorba

Guest zorba

I installed 9.0 and was working fine on my XE3. I decided to install 9.1 from scratch rather than upgrade. I decided to load windows fonts to KDE and OpenOffice.org.

And what?

I can boot my laptop. KDE starts fine. When I logout the system hangs-up.

I can not even use a terminal windows with ctrl-alt-f1 etc.

The only solution is to turn it off and on again.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

TIA

OZ

Guest zorba
I've just installed MDK 9.1 on a Omnibook XE3, but I haven't imported Windows fonts yet.

I'll do a test and let you know.

I investigated the problem over the weekend. It looks like i830 graphics driver problem. When I send halt or init commands, Linux shuts down fine.

My system is Celeron 1.066GHz 256MB Omnibook system with shared graphics memory.

• 2 weeks later...

hi-

the problem looks identical to the one I am having with my Acer.

What happens, if you try CTRL-ALT-F1 under X? How does your console look then?

Under MDK9.0 and below, all worked fine, but now this... I tried the updated kernel from cooker, no result. I uninstalled X and reinstalled the X from 9.0 - no result.

Can anyone from Mandrake developers check on this - it must be something related with the 9.1 architecture.

Let's keep our fingers x that we get a solution, because TwinView does not work either due to these problems-

NDEE

hi-

the problem looks identical to the one I am having with my Acer.

What happens, if you try CTRL-ALT-F1 under X? How does your console look then?

Under MDK9.0 and below, all worked fine, but now this... I tried the updated kernel from cooker, no result. I uninstalled X and reinstalled the X from 9.0 - no result.

Can anyone from Mandrake developers check on this - it must be something related with the 9.1 architecture.

Let's keep our fingers x that we get a solution, because TwinView does not work either due to these  problems-

NDEE

I am having the same problems. X in 9.1 is severely broken. My laptop work with the Xfree86 server that shipped all the way back to Mandrake 7.2 and now it doesn't. 9.0 works fine, but don't we all want the latest and greatest.

As an aside to this, I installed Mandrake in another laptop and it wouldn't recognize a Xircom card that is widely supported. Every time I have had an issue, Red Hat always works.

My desktop constantly reboots under 9.1. I think it is because it doesn't see all the memory installed (1.5GB). Again Mandrake 9.0 or Red Hat don't have any issues. My uptime on the destkop was measured in months and as soon as I went back to Mandrake 9.0 all was good.

Somebody at Mandrake needs to begin smelling the coffee. This cannot go on. I am so enraged because I have recommened Mandrake to a LOT of people and it has come back to bite me.

Mandrake's quality assurance just plain SUCKS. I have never seen a distribution that is nicer looking, but I have never come across one that is so BROKEN.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just installed MDK 9.1 on a Omnibook XE3, but I haven't imported Windows fonts yet.

I'll do a test and let you know.

Everything is working fine on my laptop 8)