2.6.17-10 kernel update issue

I installed the new kernel today (2.6.17-10). Booted up fine. Upon removal of old kernel (2.6.17-8), I discovered that it removed BOTH initrd.img files, for both 2.6.17-8 AND 2.6.17-10. If I rebooted from there, I know the system would have been toast.

I copied the initrd.img for the new kernel from my other Mandriva system to this one. Now, when I power it up, the initialization screen now shows the orange Mandriva One wallpaper image, but when it goes to the login screen, it displays the blue Mandriva Free wallpaper image.

I detected the problem when lilo-v reported it could not find the initrd file in the /boot directory.

(After this episode, I left the old kernel (2.6.17-8) on the other machine and have not removed it.)

How do I restore the blue Free wallpaper image at startup?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Edited by edwardp

I fixed this proiblem by reinstalling Mandriva from scratch.

However, something interesting came up and since this did not occur on Pentium One, I'm at a loss as to why this was a problem on the K6-2.

When I installed Mandriva One on the K6-2, everything went fine. Mandriva One included an nvidia-legacy video driver on the CD. The orginal kernel 2.6.17.5 worked perfectly.

Here is where the problem is:

On Pentium One, when I installed the next available kernel since its original installation, which was 2.6.17.6, there were no issues. When it tried to install nvidia-legacy, it indicated that kernel-source was not installed, so I installed the kernel-source for 2.6.17.6, but the nvidia-legacy driver still did not load. Upon installing subsequent kernels 2.6.17.8 and now 2.6.17.10, the reference to nvidia-legacy does not even come up during the initializaiton and the system continues to come up fine.

In attempting to resolve the above problem (my original post), I installed Mandriva One on the K6-2. Using 2.6.17.5 there were no problems. However when I installed 2.6.17.10 (or tried to), the same error referencing kernel-source came up, however on the K6-2, X did not start at all, I saw a text login screen. When I ran "startx" logged in as root, it displayed various fatal errors that X could not start due to the lack of nvidia-legacy as part of the 2.6.17.10 kernel.

I eventually reinstalled Mandriva Free on the K6-2 and all is well again.

My question is this:

Without the nvidia-legacy driver available in subsequent kernels on a Mandriva One installation, why does the Pentium One boot up fine, yet with the same software on the K6-2, it has a problem and would even not start X?

The chip on the video card in the K6-2 is a Riva TNT2 M64. In the Pentium, it's a GeForce 2MX.

After I had installed Mandriva One on the K6-2, after all that (above), I also tried to change the X server on the K6-2 to use the X.org "nv" driver and an error came up indicating that was not installed either. At that point, I reinstalled Mandriva using the Free CD set.

I do not use 3D on either machine.

Edited by edwardp