Can't write multisession cds with k3b

Guest ckrdbd

I have been unable to write multisession cd's successfully with k3b. I even tried the hack that I found elsewhere that advises creation of a wrapper script; this resulted in my system freezing.

I can write single sessions and even multiple ones; however, the subsequent sessions are unreadable.

I am able to follow plain instructions and am comfortable with the command line.

I would be most grateful for any assistance that anyone can provide so I don't have to keep going back to w2k to burn my cds.

Our pc is an AMD Sempron 2400+, 750MB DDR memory, NVIDIA FX graphics card with 256MB DDR, Creative Sound Blaster PCI, Mandriva PowerPack 2007.

Yes, I can't find the files at all. When I use w2k to burn the multisession cds, I can see all data, even from subsequent sessions. I realize that Linux is different; I'm just having a bit of a time with this one.

My thanks to you for taking the time to assist with this issue.

• 8 months later...

This is funny, feels like replying to myself.

I ran into a similar problem writing multisession dvd-r disks on kubuntu feisty and k3b 1.0.

What makes it worse is that the problem is never the same. Sometimes I see only the first session, other times the whole disk is unreadable (cannot be mounted)

I have the problem only with HP dvd-r disks that I bought recently. All the disks from this batch have this problem.

Before this, I used DVD-R disks made by Fujifilm and never had a problem with those.

When I insert the bad disks in the drive and check "media info" in k3b, I can see all the previous sessions. I just cannot access them because they don't appear in konqueror or when running "ls" in the cli.

BTW, is there a program that allows you to selectively extract one of the tracks from a multisession dvd?

Multisession CD's are fairly normal.

Multisession data DVD's is an anomaly, supported only by Nero Burning ROM and K3B. The produced data DVD's are far away from the official specifications (they aren't ISO9660 compliant, for one thing!), and as such you shouldn't be surprised if they are completely unreadable at certain OS'es.

I found that in writing data to cd-r using Adaptec's software in Windows, for discs not closed in cd-rom format, if the colour on the back is silver/gold I can re-write/read many times. if it's another, I can only do so a few times before it's no good. if closed in cd-rom format I can read it as many times as I like.

years ago I read a website with many comments from people & a few of them said the same thing. so now if I buy a dvd+-r/w I make sure I look at its back first. I've used HP, TDK, EMTEC & verbatim, all silver. I think that other colours may be cheaper from the non-major makers.

I put a samsung cd-rw with a blue back into my drive & couldn't access it!

k3b does say that multisession dvd+-r/w's may not work properly.

also the make of the writer is important too. I've used HP, which I found reliable.

what happens if putting in a cd-r/w dvd-+r/w? Mandriva does nothing by default. you can't paste files from k3b. To read/copy from them like a hard drive, in the control centre choose peripherals, storage media, select mounted dvd or cd writer, select 'open in new window', press 'toggle as auto action', then the apply button. then insert the disc.

I've had no problems with multi-session cd-r's.

When audio cd's are inserted, the awful/poor kscd player comes up. To turn it off, in the control centre choose peripherals, storage media, select audio cd, select 'do nothing', press 'toggle as auto action', then the apply button. the Amarok media player is much better. my default settings didn't play audio CDs. I made a change in its configure menu: in the engine tab the default device should be /dev/cdrom & /dev/cdrom1 for those with a second cd drive(see here for more detailed info).

Edited by prost

"Adaptec's software" is most probably their packet writer- called DirectCD and later Drag-to-Disc or something like that... actually the dreaded Windoze XP imapi service is based on DirectCD. Should be considered dead by now, as rewritable disks aren't trustworthy in the long run and CDR's/DVDR's are currently dirt cheap.

What's a HP writer? HP has stopped making writers back in 1999, and the started using Sony, Mitsumi, Philips, Lite-On... name-your-brand-here stuff, rebadged. This is clearly enough not the definition of reliability (more so if the rebadged product is more expensive than the OEM one, and the included software crappy at the very best...).

I tried to add some files to a multisession CD-R using K3b at the weekend :(

The CD-R already had around 370 MB of stuff on it, and I wanted to add around 100 MB. When I asked K3b to "continue multisession disc" it immediately reckoned there was 740 MB already on it, and therefore already overfull. When I added my 100 MB of stuff it was then of course over 800 MB and I didn't risk trying the burn to see if it would work.

So I had to boot into my other operating system, which added the files in a jiffy. Made me feel dirty though. (and that silently changed my clock back an hour for winter time for me, without me noticing... Grrrr)

I've never got a multisession CD-R to work with K3b, usually it just says it can't do anything with it. Same with appending to a CD-RW, it always insists that I erase the whole disk first.

Drag folders to the bottom half of the screen. Before burning the cd/dvd save the project into one of those folders so a copy of it is placed on the cd/dvd. if you forget to do it before you burn you can always save the project to a floppy or portable mp3 player.