Lexmark E120n Howto for mandriva Linux

sjaglin

Hi,

I recently got a mono laser printer, after reviewing the tests, the lexmark e120n seemed to be the one for us: Excellent quality of printing in B&W, fairly fast and network ready.

The printer arrived and it looks very professional, a quick installation on the network and fairly easy on windows for my girlfriend. But of course beforehand I had to install it on my linux-box...

The CD provided by Lexmark comes with some linux drivers (in the UNIX directory) and in an .rpm format. Nevertheless when you run the program (lexprinter) all is well untill you reach the list of printer to choose your driver and there ...TADAH! the e120n does not appear! So here is a little how to for mandriva 2007...

Lexmark E120n for Mandriva 2007!

1- Install the printer via drakconf -> hardware.

Choose the lexmark printer "Optra-E"

Driver : lj4dith

finish the install.

2- We now need to get the right ppd file for CUPS to work with full functionality:

CUPS .ppd driver for linux (see attached):

Original MAC OS X ppd driver: LexmarkE120n.ppd

Patch to work on linux: lex-e120n-linux.patch

Save files without .txt suffix and run the following at number 3...

3-A bit of command line:

patch -p0 < lex-e120n-linux.patch

gzip -c LexmarkE120n.ppd > /usr/share/cups/model/lex120n.ppd.gz

and restart cups.

There we are the printer is now installed and it has the same functions as under the other operating system (you know the one which takes 5 years to produce a new release which does not work).

Enjoy, I certainly do as this printer is a real marvel!

Stef

:D

lex_e120n_linux.patch.txt

LexmarkE120n.ppd.txt

Oh! I nearly forgot,

In kde to accs a really good web-based CUPS tool, type the following :

http://localhost:631/

In konqueror and you are up for a treat!

EDIT:

I discovered that acroread was not setup properly to print with my new printer. This program is not cups friendly so you need to place the instruction "kprint" in the printer setup of acroread to enjoy the full capabilities of the driver.

Edited by sjaglin@yahoo.co.uk

• 1 year later...
Guest Marco Aurelio

I want to download the attached files but an error message appears when I try this operation:

"Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available."

I am logged in!

Is there another way to download the files?

I want to download the attached files but an error message appears when I try this operation

It's working for me using Firefox. Have you tried right-click > save as, without the .txt file extension? If that doesn't work for you, please let us know.

Welcome to the board! :)

• 2 weeks later...