Steve Jobs: DRM doesn't work

tyme

Mr Jobs is right this time. DRM is not the way big music publishers can save themselves.

Lets just see the two usual cases.

First by downloading a pirated copy of a record I get a fully working copy without any limitations without any problem or quality loss for free.

Or second by playing honest I get a copy full of limitations depending the DRM technology in use and I even have to pay for it.

DRM is doomed it's a no brainer.

LOL ... so true...!

Really, its so simple..... would you like the free <item> which is completely yours to do as you wish ...... or would you like to pay for the <item> but then be limited in what/where you can use it?

Only the second most nor brainer though, after "what color was the white rangers white horse"

(profound post of the month nomination goes to this ^ post, so short, so succint! )

<snip>

(profound post of the month nomination goes to this ^ post, so short, so succint! )

Well, at least it's shorter than your usual postings :P

Not that I mind, don't misunderstand me. But I think if there was a contest on who posted the most *amount* of text in these forums, you'd definitely be in the top 3 ;)

Edited by Darkelve

<snip>

Well, at least it's shorter than your usual postings :P

Not that I mind, don't misunderstand me. But I think if there was a contest on who posted the most *amount* of text in these forums, you'd definitely be in the top 3 ;)

LOL, I actually meant Dexter not me!

Funny thing I was at my girlfriends folks last night and her mom has some freelance work using Adobe in Design2, anyway we are spec'ing up a PC and all including SW. We can buy InDesign for $799 (about Euro 600) in the US but in France it costs $1399 although if you get the English version its $1099??? She has no wish to connect the PC to the internet.

It just seemed like Dexters arguament, we can buy the crippled (product activation) version in one language and jump through hoops (like provide a US address and bank account) to save nearly 50% ?? or pay $1399 .... or get a "cracked" version for free?

We have all these questions like what if she buys in the US (she is a US passport holder) but then wants to activate it from France? Bear in mind this is simply a price hike, this is actually the "downloadable" edition.

Is it just me or is something wrong when you are considering buying the legal version but trying to get a cracked one to actually use so as not to worry about product activation or jumping through hoops?