*.wvx applications [solved]

linux_trojan

*.wvx files are nothing more than a text file with a link to a wmv file. If you rename to end in .txt and open it with your favorite text editor, you should see a URL in the it pointing to a .wmv file. Copy that into your browser and you should be off.

Note that you'll probably need to install win32-codecs if you haven't already, you can get them via PLF non-free repositories (use easy-urpmi, at the top of the page, to add these repositories).

non-free? I have to pay for win32 codec?

No.

From Mandriva Users Wiki

PLF-nonfree

The Penguin Liberation Front is an organization that distributes software that cannot be included in Linux distributions due to software patents, corporate interest protection laws (such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act in the United States) or privacy restriction laws.

From Penguin Liberation Front

# non-free contains packages unsuitable for Mandriva because of license or copyright issues

I went to Easy_Urpmi above and it said something about "Alway Add main". Is that really necessary? or can I just go straight to the PLA NON FREE stuff? when I select main and PLA non free, it tells me to type to different commands in the console as root? Or maybe I just dont understand this yet? If I can just check off the Non Free stuff and go from there that would be nice.

You don't have to add main, but it's useful. You could just do the command that references PLF-nonfree and ignore the command it gives for main, if you'd like. Main is basically the same contents as the CD's you have.

This would be a great service if any of the links in easy URPMI worked. I have tried almost all for PLF Non Free and I cant find one that works. I mistakenly typed urpmi.removemedia -a to see if I could fix the problem that way and found I could not. So, I did have to finally check MAIN and I ultimately found a server in Canada that worked. But nothing is working for PLF Non Free.

No typing needed... just use selecting with the mouse and ctrl+c in your browser, and you can paste it by shift+ins at konsole.

Most mirrors in easyurpmi are working- probably not all, but most... if you could only spot just one working for "main" in Canada, then you're either extremely unlucky, or a Gruenland resident.