Wine and Mandrake 9.1 - Newbie question

Guest Postino

Guest Postino

Hello everyone,

I'm a Linux newbie... I just successfully installed Mandrake 9.1 and I can also successfully dual boot with Win XP.

I keep hearing about this Wine and its ability to run some Windows programs.

Does Wine come pre-installed with Mandrake 9.1 ? If so, where can I find it?

I didn't want to download and install the RPM if it was already installed...

Thank you for your help :D

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

I'll try to be as non-technical as I can here:

open up a terminal and do the following at the prompt:

su >enter<

you will be prompted for root password

password >enter<

now you are the root account.at the prompt type:

mcc

This is the mandrake control center. From here you can use the package manager to see if wine is installed, and if not it will install it for you.

Hi ezroller!

Hope he has better luck with wine on 9.1 than I do...

none of my games will work now, Half-Life, Blue-Shift, Op-Force and RTCW all don't work, with different problems on all.

I'm thinking seriously of 'downgrading' to Mandrake9 , had it all working great. (Of course I HAD to try 9.1!!)

Much as some people hate it, if you want to play windows games you'd be better off with WineX. Its a special verison of Wine with added support for DirectX calls and the installers normally used by games. There is a tutorial on how to get the code and compile on this site some where or you can buy a pre-compiled version from transgaming.

www.transgaming.com

Thanks- but I have tried two older wine rpm versions, neither will work properly.

As far as winex- unless they have made some major changes in the FREE version, I'm not even gonna try it again, and I'm certainly not gonna pay for it.

I have had tremendous success with wine from cvs, but not this time...

and I'm not sure that the problem isn't related to the nvidia drivers.

Seems I can't rebuild the (nvidia) kernel source rpm on 9.1. So I am using textar rpms. :lol:

Seems I can't rebuild the (nvidia) kernel source rpm on 9.1. So I am using textar rpms. :lol:

Mandrake 9.1 doesn't install kernel-sources by default (even though you click on development). Install that and you will be able to compile NVidia's drivers

I think this should be in Mandrake 9.1 FAQ :)

Guest davebsr
As far as winex- unless they have made some major changes in the FREE version, I'm not even gonna try it again, and I'm certainly not gonna pay for it.

the wineX from cvs is quite good, if you don't need the installer packaged with binary wineX. I have starcraft running near-perfect, and other games too. you can get wineX CVS tutorials on hte web...i think Dolson had one...although i'm pretty sure he'd tell you just to buy games for linux.

Thanks- but I have tried two older wine rpm versions, neither will work properly.  

I have had tremendous success with wine from cvs, but not this time...

and I'm not sure that the problem isn't related to the nvidia drivers.

type

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

before running the wine program, its because of the new glibc 2.3.1

Btw why do you run rtcw in wine?

definately grab wineX if you need it for games.

im with 83mercedes with this one. i have just launched throne of darkness (albeit without sound) and have played the saved games. not that i am interested in the game, i was just testing the wine cvs installation with one of the games installed by my brother. :)

ciao!

johnnyv- Is there another way to run RTCW? Without wine? And thanks for the tip- I will try that.

For all who have suggested winex,I have tried winex, the free one, and had no luck at all, compared with just plain wine. And I KNOW DOlson likes pure Linux games, but I like my half-life.

This is the damndest thing, now I can't even get 9.0 all working again.

Serves me right for messing with something that wasn't broke.

Next time there's an update, I'm just gonna browse these forums for a year or so, to see what's up before I jump in.

johnnyv- Is there another way to run RTCW? Without wine? And thanks for the tip- I will try that.

For all who have suggested winex,I have tried winex, the free one, and had no luck at all, compared with just plain wine. And I KNOW DOlson likes pure Linux games, but I like my half-life.

This is the damndest thing, now I can't even get 9.0 all working again.

Serves me right for messing with something that wasn't broke.

Next time there's an update, I'm just gonna browse these forums for a year or so, to see what's up before I jump in.

RTCW has had the binaries ported.

Do you have the original or the GOTY edition? method is different depending on which version

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/wolf/