Can Metisse Live CD be booted from its iso image?

sermat

Techically, I'd say, probably yes.

What you'd have to do now that I think about it, is:

get the bootloaded part out of the iso, modify it so that it will be able to read your filesystem, mount the iso image as a cdrom drive and use it, place the modified bootloading part somewhere on your filesystem, point lilo/grub to it, done.

To be honest, personally I'd just burn the cd and spin it up.... it will certainly save you a lot of frustration, time and effort...

You can boot the iso in an emulated qemu environment from within mdv2007 by running:

$ qemu -cdrom filename.iso

The above assumes you are in the directory with "filename.iso" and you have qemu installed. You can find the qemu rpm in the contrib repo for mdv2007 IIRC.

At any rate, I use qemu all the time to check out livecds and see if I want to bother to burn the iso. It comes in very handy. The qemu window will steal the mouse focus as soon as it comes up and to get it back you do Ctrl-Alt and you can use your mouse on your regular desktop while qemu boots up the iso within its window.

iphitus: yes, you are absolutely correct. I just got home and booted metisse using qemu, and I didn't put a stop watch on it, but it took maybe 10 + minutes just to get the login screen (and this is a 2.4 GHz PIV machine.

By the way, what is the login username/password for Metisse?

Any way, my thanks go to pmpatrick for pointing me to try qemu, which i had never tried before.

Regards to all,

sermat.

The username and password are "guest" IIRC; at least that's what mandriva has used on prior livecds. I downloaded and tried running metisse under quemu and it didn't work. I got to a login screen but it would just grind away for a long time after an attempted login and eventually dump me back to the login screen. Apparently, the emulated graphics card in qemu doesn't have the horses to run metisse.