Intel AC97 Audio Issues

Artemis

Please bare with me. I am a newbie with linux.

I just installed Mandrake 10.0 and my sound (onboard Intel AC97) only plays through one speaker. Also, when I try to watch a video, the picture is there but only static for sound. Can anyone help me remedy this? Thanks in advance :)

The computer is actually a few years old. Its a pentium 3 1ghz with 192mb of RAM. I was afraid my computer wouldnt support a newer release. I have actually solved the one speaker not working issue. It seems I had a short in the cable ;)

Would my current setup work with a newer relsease?

He has 192MB in the post above yours :P

Should be fine, but you might need to cut out a lot of services after installing it to ensure free ram for other things. Don't expect to use KDE or Gnome though. They will be resource hungry and quite slow.

Should be fine, but you might need to cut out a lot of services after installing it to ensure free ram for other things. Don't expect to use KDE or Gnome though. They will be resource hungry and quite slow.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be upgrading this week :)

He has 192MB in the post above yours :P

Thought GNOME is less resource-hungry than KDE, and so could be ran on slower machines. Is 192 MB of RAM still not enough?