Disable Screensaver from terminal? [solved]

scsever

I have installed 2007 with the KDE desktop on a friends desktop PC and have them in a bit of a mess. When the screensaver activates the system won't come back alive. I can't get into the screensaver to change any configurations, as soon as I select screensaver from the Configure Desktop GUI the PC crashes. Can anyone tell me how to disable the screensaver from a terminal? Or maybe what the path is to a configuration file?

Thanks,

Waht do you mean saying "won't come back alive"? What happened when you press Ctrl+Alt+F2? This should take you to console 2, you should be able to login from there and cleanly shutdown/restart the system. Also, you should be able to browse and edit config files from the console. Try to disable the screensaver alltogether, by editing the file /home/username/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc. Nano or pico are the best for this kind of job, but if you are brave enough, you could use vi just as well.

Anyway, login to the console, open the file kdesktoprc with the editor of your choice, locate the section [screenSaver], ane disable the screensaver by setting

Enabled=false

. Save, exit the editor, reboot/restart KDE.

I sometimes have this problem, and I have SSH installed on my machine, so I open an SSH connection to my machine, and then kill the screensaver. I then get a prompt on the machine for entering the password, so I can then unlock it safely and continue without having to hold the power button down for five seconds for a reset.