NTFS mount problems [solved]

earsh0t

Ok i have Mandriva 2007, real nice and clean lookin BTW great distro, I go into the mdriva control center, mount points, create new, Hdb1(windows) set mount point, click yes to save fstab..close out go into mountpoint.....nothing...no files at all. i know it has files onit but it dont showum.

Update, i restarted and whent into the devices link on the main page, it shows the HD inthere but when i go into it it says, "could not enter mnt/windows"

Edited by earsh0t

ok, i think i found the problem, my fstab file says this,

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0022,defaults 0 0

i found this in another thread,

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

so i tryed changing that but when i whent to save it, it sed i dont have permision to do that, so i go into the terminal and "SU" to root, try it again...still says i dont have the right to do it.....what do i do???

It seems you may have more than one issue. Change your fstab entry to

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs defaults 0 0

Obviously, use the correct /dev/hXXX for your ntfs partition. Notice you used both hda1 and hdb1 in your post. A good way to ensure you're doing it right is to use the diskdrake tool rather than directly editing the fstab file. Just enter 'diskdrake' from a console (as root).

The next thing to check is the permissions of the /mnt/windows folder. I believe the default settings will lock out non-root users.

Another thing is - if a mounted volume appears empty, the first thing to check is to see if it's actually mounted. diskdrake will tell you if it's mounted or not and let you mount it with a click. "mount -a" from the console (as root) will mount everything possible in fstab.

yes i know about he HDa1 and hdb1 thing, i just copyed and pasted that stuff over for times sake. ive checked all the permissions, it wont let me change them. even if i SU in the terminal, it still says i dont have permission to change it.

Edited by earsh0t

update...it just started working lol, i shut it down and booted up windows to finish a DL i had goin, then shutdown and hooked the linux back up and fired her up....whent into the devices and now i can see all of my files, before i had a chance to change stuff lol ohwell.