Wireless connection blues BCM43xx

Guest Brainjammers

Guest Brainjammers

Hello:

I am somewhat new to Linux having had a go at installing Ubuntu and failing to get my WLAN up and running, so I have tried Mandriva 2007, which I have to say looks splendid. It also ran fw-cutter to set up my Broadcom 4306 PCI wireless card with no apparent difficulty, allocating it eth0. There is an on-board LAN 10/100 card which does not show up and I cannot easily remove physically.

So if I click on the little icon in the top right and select "connect eth0", it then with no problems appears to connect to eth0. But then the trouble starts. I have configured my own network to death using the Mandriva Control Centre and I was convinced that I have got the right settings having had no difficulty with the XP laptop I am currently using to type this message. I have a range of IP addresses which includes the static one which I have allocated the subject PC, and I am running a WPA-PSK secured system. It is here that I fear I may be in deep water. The WPA settings on my router are TKIP.

But when I run iwconfig from the Mandriva COntrol Centre it tells me that my Security mode is Open. I tried to edit this from the Control Centre using gedit and the ifcfg-eth0 file, but changing "open" for "tkip" has no effect, or didn't. I may be editing the wrong file of course. The other thought I had was that the encryption key needs some sort of translation, but as this seems to work on my other machine, this seems unlikely.

When I reboot, the network indicator (top right) tells me that I "do not have any configured Internet connection..." and invites me to configure everything again. I wonder if perhaps my desired configuration is not "set" in some way. When I do reiterate the configuration, the network applet says that the Network is up on eth0 and cites the correct IP address and Gateway, but then when I attempt to connect to my (visible) network, it says it's connecting and then tells me that the network is down. I don't seem to get both ends connected at the same time.

If I try to run a DHCP setup, which my router can handle, the network applet won't connect to eth0 at all.

I am rather running out of ideas here, and I feel so near to sorting this problem that I do not wish to give up, so I would be grateful for any advice.

I had a lot of problems with fw-cutter and broadcom wireless cards on several distros, so much so, I've gone back to ndiswrapper. The main issue I saw on several distros with fw-cutter is that the designation for the wireless card kept shifting from one boot to the next from eth0 to eth1 and back again. Note, I also have a regular nic which kept shifting back and forth with the wireless from eth0 to eth1. So every other boot or so I wound up having to reconfigure everything. You can see if you are having the same trouble by running this in a console as root:

# iwconfig

If the interface with the "wireless extensions" shifts from eth0 to eth1 on some reboots, you have the same problem.

Edited by pmpatrick