Linux Argument

studmuffin007

Well, the article is really pretty old and Theo only says that Linux is for losers because - for him - it is all about money. It is not about the quality in the first place but money.

Used OpenBSD recently? Quality comes before everything. He'd happily merge a driver from a paid developer from anywhere if it was well written, legally safe and came with appropriate documentation.

It all comes down to: Use the OS what works for you (technically, ethically, economically).

Aye.

James

• 2 weeks later...

studmuffin007, why are you trying to convince your friend to switch to Linux?

Why would it be a good thing for him to do, in your eyes? Why doesn't he see that?

About that article, it's not relevant to this discussion at all - though I can explain very simply why Linux has more traction than BSD.

It's in the GPL - you can't take Linux without giving back.

Meaning: a company that invests in BSD openly (meaning, they give back the code) can have their code taken by a competitor, closed, improved and sold.

I'm in the mobile phone business, where there's currently quite a rush to get entry level phones running on Linux onto the market; I'd say that within about 2 years most new low to mid end models will very likely be running Linux.

Note also that most Linux developers are actually getting payed, they're employed by those same corporations that Theo de Raadt is complaining about that they are using the work of unpaid Linux developers....

Now back to the matter of this friend who, in your opinion, should switch to Linux.

Which of the following arguments have you used:

technical: quality of Linux

philosophical: GPL, sharing of code

open source

free software (question: do you see and care about the distinction between OS and FS?)

economical: price

legal: no piracy required to get all cool free Linux software

Why do you use Linux yourself? Do your reasons apply to your friend?

Are you sure he's ready for Linux?

I wrote this back in 2003, but quite a bit of it still holds: http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/switchsuccess.html

I'm looking forward to your answers...

Edited by aRTee