Mandriva 2007 only recognizes 1gb of RAM

Guest Aaron

Hello all, new to Mandriva and I am really liking it so far...only issue I have is that it won't recognize the full 2gb of memory. I tried looking for a kernel with high RAM support but only found 2006 versions.

Is my only hope to compile my own? Or is there some place to go d/l the kernel I need?

Thanks!

Aaron

Usually, you need to get the "kernel-enterprise" version of the kernel for high memory configurations(over 1GB of ram). There are kernel-enterprise rpms available for mdv2007. Where have you been looking?

If you have setup "main" and "contrib" urpmi sources the enterprise kernels should be available. If you are not sure how to do that, post back or check out the "Easy-Urpmi" link at the top of the page.

Edited by pmpatrick

I went ahead and compiled my own. I have had a tough time finding good responsive mirrors, and the ones I did finally get to respond didn't have the kernels I was looking for unfortunately (I guess???)

Any tips on getting good sources for my urpmi's?

Sometimes when the mirrors are being updated they all suck. I know that the enterprise kernel was recently updated because of a security vulnerability so that might be a problem. Generally, I've found the Netherlands nluug repo to be very good although that will probably change now that I've posted it here. :o :D :lol2:

I went ahead and compiled my own. I have had a tough time finding good responsive mirrors, and the ones I did finally get to respond didn't have the kernels I was looking for unfortunately (I guess???)

Any tips on getting good sources for my urpmi's?

I use in france distrib-coffee or anorien in the uk, mandriva employees or active contributors maintain them, they are fast and useally the most up to date...

One further thing on this problem. I and others have noticed a lot of bugs/instability on mdv2007's rpmdrake, the graphical software installation utility in mandriva control center. You may be better off trying the command line urpmi to install the enterprise kernel:

# urpmi kernel-enterprise

rpmdrake is just a graphical front end for urpmi.

One further thing on this problem. I and others have noticed a lot of bugs/instability on mdv2007's rpmdrake, the graphical software installation utility in mandriva control center. You may be better off trying the command line urpmi to install the enterprise kernel:

# urpmi kernel-enterprise

rpmdrake is just a graphical front end for urpmi.

I seem to be running pretty nicely with the newly compiled 2.6.19.2 kernel. Does enterprise offer anything different that I should know about?

Thanks for all the great replies!

ps, I always "ask" for the packages through urpmi, guess I'm used to apt-getting everything

Edited by Aaron

Won't recognize 2 gig?????? I think mine does. At least it looks like it does from looking at the system monitor. Is there some formal way for me to check? I'm using 2007 with its default kernel.

go to terminal and type "top"

(without the quotes of course)

You should see Mem: 2076164k total (or something close)

top gives me: Mem: 2075828k total

Again, this is just with the stock kernel (32 bit) for Mandriva 2007.

Cool, guess your Mandriva is better than mine? :P

Mine most definitely did not recognize more than 1 gb of my RAM.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick comment: the stock Mandrake kernels should be able to cope with up to 4GB of RAM.

Just in case people get the wrong impression that they can't - at some point in time this was different, the stock kernel used to be able to deal with 1GB only (well, I think it was ~980MB or so, the rest was HiMem for which an option had to be turned on, at the cost of a slight penalty for those with less memory than 1GB...).

BTW to see how much RAM you have (or, how much the system can use), use the command

free

on a side note, it also allows to determine if adding RAM will help a lot or not; if no swap is used, adding RAM will not have a beneficiary effect, and is thus a waste of time and money...

Edited by aRTee

• 11 months later...
Guest farquar
Hello all, new to Mandriva and I am really liking it so far...only issue I have is that it won't recognize the full 2gb of memory. I tried looking for a kernel with high RAM support but only found 2006 versions.

Had the same problem, the difference between the desktop586_2.6.22.9-1 and desktop_2.6.22.9-1 kernels is the RAM usage the first being a 1gb kernel the second being a 4gb kernel.

I had both installed so I just had to change /etc/lilo.conf to set the desktop_2.6.22.9-1 kernel as the default and then run lilo. Now free and top report the full 2gb.