Adobe Acrobat

hirohitosan

I have problems with Adobe Acrobat Reader. It works until some days ago. I update my system and after that (or I don't know why) suddenly doesn't start. I reinstall the rpm package but still not work. On command line:

$ acroread
expr: syntax error

I installed again from sources but still same message. Now I don't know how to uninstall Can anyone give me some advices?

Thanks.

You can do this:

whereis acroread

to find out where it exists, let's assume /usr/bin, then do:

rpm -qf /usr/bin/acroread

it should then tell you what package it belongs to, then do:

urpme packagename

replacing packagename, with the name of the package that acroread gave you before. Then I would try downloading and installing the new package again. It exists in urpmi, so:

urpmi acroread

should do the trick without you manually downloading it and trying to install it that way. Maybe this is why it doesn't work.

I installed again from sources but still same message. Now I don't know how to uninstall Can anyone give me some advices?

If you saved the directory you compiled it in... cd to that directory, and as root do:

make uninstall

Edited by Greg2

I reinstall the rpm package but still not work

Where did you get the rpm package from? Is it the rpm from the Adobe website?

Greg2: make uninstall would not work because Adobe acrobat is not an open source application and you cannot install it from sources.

The tarball you get from their website actually contains binaries and an installation script.

Hirohitosan: This is from the ReadMe file in the tarball for Adobe reader 7:

To uninstall Adobe Reader, you can simply delete the directory where it was installed. You may choose to do this if you installed using a tarball installer.

Where did you get the rpm package from? Is it the rpm from the Adobe website?

yes I downloaded from Adobe web site.

simply delete the directory where it was installed.
Thank you! I deleted the directory where was installed. But anyway I'm still curious why it doesn't work on my computer. It works in the past and suddenly it stop working.

I downloaded again the .rpm from Adobe web site, I installed again and same error

acroread

Few days ago a had a serious crash on my computer. I inserted an PCMCIA card and suddenly everything frozen. Keyboard, mouse, everything. I had no choices and I reset my computer. After that, the FSCK start and fix some inodes problems and after that some programs doesn't start (Amarok for example). I reinstalled and it works, but with Adobe Acrobat it doesn't work. Could be from that crash? I'm sorry if is a stupid question.

This might mean that FSCK was not able to correct all errors on your disk.

Try to rename the following folders in your home directory:

.acrobat (rename to .acrobat.old)

.adobe (rename to .adobe.old)

See if that solves your problem. If it still does not work after that, try this from the console as root:

rpm -Va

See if there are any interesting errors/warnings, like missing files or broken dependencies.

.acrobat (rename to .acrobat.old)

.adobe (rename to .adobe.old)

I replaced but still not working. Same error

and

rpm -Va

It gives me a biig output. I don't understand very well. I attached the output. Is says that Mozilla is missing but in fact I installed the new version 2.0, and the same with Java. In rest I don't understand :unsure:

rpm__Va.txt

I have problems with Adobe Acrobat Reader. It works until some days ago. I update my system and after that (or I don't know why) suddenly doesn't start. I reinstall the rpm package but still not work. On command line:

$ acroread

I just upgraded my AdobeReader with the AdobeReader_enu-7.0.9-1.i386.rpm. When I tried to open it with the terminal I had an infinite loop of "expr: syntax error"

I've found the fix (hack) for your (our) problem, or anyone with this problem using Mandriva 2007.

Using your favorite editor open:

/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread

find this section:

get_gtk_file_ver()

and change this line from:

echo $mfile| sed 's/libgtk-x11-\([0-9]*\).0.so.0.\([0-9]\)00.\([0-9]*\)\|\(.*\)/\1\2\3/g'

to

echo $mfile| sed 's/libgtk-x11-\([0-9]*\).0.so.0.\([0-9]*\)00.\([0-9]*\)\|\(.*\)/\1\2\3/g'

Open your new reader and enjoy.

Please note that this does not seem to be a problem with Debian, or my Xubuntu systems.