Confused with window managers

Guest Eaglos

Greetings, I installed Mandriva 64bit version the other day. So far it looks ok but I have some issues.

a. I get a weird looking log in screen. It is a plain blue background with two text boxes for username and password. Is this normal? All other distros, so far, had a nice looking log on screen where I could play with some options.

b. The common "no shutdown and restart" option. My security level is set to standard and I am pretty sure I have installed KDE only.

c. Why am I not allowed to add packages when logged on as user? It says that I can only view what packages I have installed. I am not talking upgrades from the Internet but rather adding stuff from the dvd.

Thank you all :)

You cannot install ANY packages, unless you have root privileges as otherwise your system could be compromised by hackers otherwise if anyone had full rights to your system to do everything. Linux is different to Windows, where they defaulted to giving you full rights to do everything.

When you logged in, did you get KDE?

You cannot install ANY packages, unless you have root privileges as otherwise your system could be compromised by hackers otherwise if anyone had full rights to your system to do everything. Linux is different to Windows, where they defaulted to giving you full rights to do everything.

I am aware of all that. I was just expecting a root password prompt and not the "You are only allowed to view" message. :) Oh, in the last 12 years I have never had my Windows compromised by hackers despite being an Administrator ;) There is no monster called "Hackers" everything boils down to user's ignorance :P

When you logged in, did you get KDE?

Yes, it looks and feel like KDE :) but all I get is Lock and Logout with End Session option.

Hmm strange, have you tried CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and logging in again doesnt make it any better?

I've never had a cracker either, but have had machines infected that weren't service packed and connected to the internet. Infected in less than a minute :o

What program are you running, that's not prompting for root password?

Going back to your first post, the common no shutdown/reboot is because your using xdm or gdm with kde instead of using kdm. gdm is for gnome, kdm is for kde. Chances are you have the wrong one selected. You can change this in Configure Your Computer/System/Display Manager.

I am aware of all that. I was just expecting a root password prompt and not the "You are only allowed to view" message.
I have two menu entries in my System\Configuration\Packaging section. One is browse available software which is doing what you experineced. The other is Install, Delete & Update software which is doing what you expect it to do, asks root password etc.

I have two menu entries in my System\Configuration\Packaging section. One is browse available software which is doing what you experineced. The other is Install, Delete & Update software which is doing what you expect it to do, asks root password etc.

I was referring to the first one, "Browse available software". I will check the xdm thing tonight.

Thank you.

Hmm strange, have you tried CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and logging in again doesnt make it any better?

This takes me back to the weird blue screen with the two text fields. When I log on everything is the same. Anyway, I can send the shutdown command via the konsole but it's better to have a button for it

Going back to your first post, the common no shutdown/reboot is because your using xdm or gdm with kde instead of using kdm. gdm is for gnome, kdm is for kde. Chances are you have the wrong one selected. You can change this in Configure Your Computer/System/Display Manager.

I have just made a fresh installation and I have selected KDE packages only. I managed to find the Display Manager option and guess what, only XDM was present :huh: Does this make any sense? Where is KDM or GDM???

It gets even more weird because I checked the Add Remove Software thing and kdm is installed.....

Sounds like your downloaded ISO is corrupt if your having problems with packages being installed and not recognised.

Either that, or your system wasn't a clean install, maybe even an upgrade to 2007 that is causing the problem.

Sounds like your downloaded ISO is corrupt if your having problems with packages being installed and not recognised.

I will download it again and see what happens. Also when I log on as root there is no window manager at all and

System/Display Manager is empty.

Either that, or your system wasn't a clean install...

Definitely a clean install, the disk was empty.

Thanks for the help :)