View Error Messages [solved]

Peter_APIIT

My friends told met that if you want to view the error messages for your system, you should went to /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog. Unfortunately, i can"t open this file to view it. I have try to log in as root and open it but the console display an error messages which is permission denied. I have run out of idea. Could anyone please help me on this. Your help will greatly appreciated by me and others.

Thanks for your help.

Hope GOD will blessed you.

You could also start (whilst being logged in as normal user) start a terminal (Gnome-terminal, Terminal, rxvt, etc -- no shortage of alternatives), then become root for that terminal via "su" and then use tail /var/log/messages to see the last 10 lines (or tail -20 for 20 etc). Another good trick is tail -f /var/log/messages which will 'follow' (hence the -f) the log-file -- will update the output if the file grows.

Just some ideas. If you want to be fancy there is also multi-tail (which allows clever filtering, multiple windows in a terminal etc) or you could use logdrake, also known as the 'View and Search' program from the control center (it is uner system).

• 1 month later...