upgrade to cooker from mandriva one: kdesu problem

holr

hi,

i have just updated my system to mandriva cooker (using repositories from easyurpmi) however im not getting a strange problem, whenever i use kdesu (like, when configuring net_applet or going into the mandriva control centre) it keeps telling me "wrong password". If i am in a terminal, I can go in as "su" and the password works perfectly. How can i "reset" the password used for kdesu?

It seems more likely you user is not in the list for kdesu.. since the password is obviously fine

help:/kdesu/ in konqueror will give you a better explanation...

So you need su to be setup and working and priv's to use it...

you also need /bin/true to be present and executable by the user..

Hmm looking a bit more yoiu can already su.... this tends to the iostream thaty is used for the password not being setup correctly... try without saving the password kdesu (see options)

su root -c <the_program> should work...

kdesu -c kfm -sw

should start the file manager...

you can try -d for debugging and -t for terminal output and see if it gives any meaningful errors..

i have been playing a bit more now, and seem to have sorted the problem, it wasn't kdesu's fault at all. Seems like when i installed mandriva one 2007 and added the "cooker" repositories and upgraded (urpmi --auto-select) it upgraded most things but there were a few packages that wouldn't update. These were due to some existing packages not being up-to-date yet either. So the erroneous one was kdebase-common.

I "uprme kdebase-common" (which isn't a good idea, in normal circumstances!) and then did "urpmi --auto-select" again, and there were no more issues in the upgrading process. I had to do "urpmi k3b konsole" immediately too as they were removed with kdebase-common.

A long story, but the short of it is kdesu is working again now. It was just that the upgrade didnt go as smooth as it should have originally.