Can't log in after turning on 3d desktop

oshunluvr

So after 7 years as a Mandrake/Mandriva user I have never been so dissapointed as I am with 2007. What a piece of crap. Frankly, If I wanted an operating system this useless I'd go back to windoze. Thank goodness I have a 2006 install still working while I try out Suse and Ubuntu or something else...

I had a working 2007 install - after about 25 different install tries - and like a moron I updated everything and waited for four months thinking they would fix some of the problems. So I again tried to use 3d desktop. Jeeze am I dumb...

The issue is I selected 3d desktop setup from "configure your computer" and now I can't log in to my GUI. rebooting or restarting x has no effect - the whirling mouse icon just sits there forever. No error messages in any log.

I did a console log in as root and "urpme"'d compiz and task-3ddesktop but still can't log in to the gui. I was able to recover from this once about 20 installs ago but my system was so screwed by then I did five more or so re-installs until I was back at square one.

Anyone know what to do to turn 3ddesktop off and log in via kdm again?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Im not usre where Man driva set the 3D stuff ... one quick nasty fix to get you to the GUI (to turn it off) would be to go back to a non-3d driver... I beleive you can start hardrake from the CLI or just change the driver in xorg.conf... i.e. if your using nvidia change it to nv...

It will probably spit out lots of errors but start...

Give this a go first then we can put it back to accelerated graphics and no 3D ... (ps it could just be your card isn't supported)

I'm using a BFG nVidia 6600 GT OC AGP card, opengl works great and 3d should work. I think it may have more to do with the nvidia driver and my installation. My laptop with a less powerful nvidia card runs the 3ddesktop perfectly.

So I fixed the current issue - not logging in - by uninstalling the mesa packages which includes the xgl packages and then reinstalling them. This seemed to return me to "2D"desktop mode and allows normal kdm login's.

BUT

I tried to install the newest dkms-nvidia-9631 driver packages, but got an error when I tried to install the driver in the dkms tree. Something to do with the kernel modules not being found - although it was there for the 8774 version I had been using. For some reason, my initial install had installed both dkms-nvidia-8774 and legecy-7184 as well and I had been unwilling to remove the legecy driver for fear of killing video altogether.

SO

when I reinstalled dkms-8774 drivers after the failed attempt at 9631, the nvidia driver wouldn't load. I then ran XFdrake to try and set up my card and XFdrake removed the legecy driver for me. I then restored my previous xorg.conf and was back to start.

I think I should start with my kernel installatiion and source files - once I get that right and get my drivers updated, I'll try the 3d thing again.

What kernel are you running? Sometimes the dkms doesn't work if you're not using and official Mandriva kernel.

Output of:

uname -a

and:

ls -l /usr/src

should clear this up to see if you have the right kernel source and kernel installed. Or even, an:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

will show us what kernel packages are installed. The uname command shows us what one you chose and booted into.

I'm using a BFG nVidia 6600 GT OC AGP card, opengl works great and 3d should work.
Im no exspert but I don't think because OpenGL is working that 3D desktop will necassarily work... obviously it won't work if its not working but the 3D desktop uses some additional OpenGL stuff which can be quite card specific...

Option "RenderAccel" "1"

Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "1"

Option "RandRRotation" "1"

Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"

Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "1"

Option "TripleBuffer" "1"

I think it may have more to do with the nvidia driver and my installation. My laptop with a less powerful nvidia card runs the 3ddesktop perfectly.

OK like I say Im not an expert (I tried it lost my 2nd screen so deactivated it) but it could be they way its trying to do it...

Again as I understand trhis can be done either through XGL or the nvidia driver itself... perhaps the lower spec card is using the default6 method and the other is trying some advanc3ed stuff that doesn't quite work for that card?

Sorry I can't be more specific but hopefully this helps

I should have been more clear early on... I got my gui working again without 3d using the steps above. The real frustrating thing is I had 3d desktop working under RC2 but not with the full release!

Going back to the kernel header issue - I have had endless problems with mandrake/mandriva and kernel updates. The package manager likes to install kernel updates but (in past versions) doesn't update the linux symlink or install the new headers leaving me with a system that can't be updated. As a user, not a linux professional, this occasionally causes great headaches - at least until I figure out what's wrong. I understand the steps required to change kernels and thank god they've made it simpler, but I think allowing the packager to install kernel updates is a bad idea for lots of beginner users.

Like right now - I installed 2007, did some updates, CAREFUL not to select anything with 'kernel' in it, but still - here I am trying to figure out why my '/usr/src/linux' = 'kernel-tmb-2.6.17.13-4mdv' and 'uname -a' = '2.6.17-5mdvlegacy #1 SMP'. This of course, causing my attempted nvidia driver update to fail because the headers don't match the kernel name. Of course, kernel-source-2.6.17-5mdvlegacy doesn't exist - that would be too easy! In the past some installers (I suppose not well written or maybe just not sofisticated enough) would only work if the kernel name EXACTLY matches the linux directory name. In the past, I have actually had to make a duplicate copy of my source files to a renamed directory in order to affect an installation.

So as I said - my first step to solving my issues with 2007 will be to get kernel source and headers matching.

To respond to everyones help/questions:

Added the suggested lines to xorg.conf (I had renderaccel and allowglxwith already, but not the last four) - I have yet to restart X and look at the log however (next thing to do).

Output of 'rpm -qa | grep kernel' :

slmodem-kernel-2.6.17-5mdvlegacy-2.9.11-1mdk

kernel-legacy-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0

ati-kernel-2.6.17-5mdvlegacy-8.28.8-1mdk

hcfpcimodem-kernel-2.6.17-5mdvlegacy-1.10full-1mdk

nvidia-kernel-2.6.17-5mdvlegacy-8774-1mdk

madwifi-kernel-2.6.17-5mdvlegacy-0.9.2-1mdk

unicorn-kernel-2.6.17-5mdvlegacy-0.9.3-1mdk

hsfmodem-kernel-2.6.17-5mdvlegacy-7.47.00.03full-1mdk

kernel-tmb-source-2.6.17.13-4mdv-1-1mdv2007.0

First of all - why is there ati-kernel anything? Must have been a default selection or installer error, or is it required because I have an ati tv wonder? I don't have a wifi card in this computer so I can get rid of that unless I need it for my wireless router for some reason. I do have a modem but was only going to use it for caller id so I haven't attempted to use it. I don't even know what unicorn is.

Am I correct that if I install kernel-2.6.17-5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.src.rpm that I will have the correct header source files???? I suspect I will be adding 'legacy' to whatever src directory I end up with.

Do I need to find 'nvidia-kernel-2.6.17-5mdvlegacy-9XXX-1mdk' before I can upgrade to a 9000 series nvidia driver? I can find no rpm's for nvidia-kernel higher than 8776 and everything I read says I need 9XXX drivers to get this thing to work.

Have I got this right ???. You have an nvidia card and you have installed an ati-kernal that is intended for ATI video cards.

Have you been getting packages out of cooker. It looks to me like you have but of course I could be wrong. If you did then you are totally off base when complaining about problems, that is what you must be prepared for and accept with cooker.

3D does have problems but surely it is not a necessity, just a bit of eye candy that already seems to be losing interest with most people.

After trying it for 10 minutes I decided it wasn't really worth the hype and trouble so uninstalled it and haven't missed it since.

I only ever install the plain kernel and its matching kernel-source (I have the latest 2.6.18-8), I download Nvidias latest driver and follow its recommended install routine.

If you are going to install a kernel then install that one (2.6.17-8) and its kernel-source, it is 3 steps up from the one you are talking about and has fixed a number of minor problems. Use easy-urpmi.

Guess what ?. I have done it that way for 1 1/2 yrs and have never had problems. So what does that tell you?.

Cheers. John

Have I got this right ???. You have an nvidia card and you have installed an ati-kernal that is intended for ATI video cards.

Have you been getting packages out of cooker. It looks to me like you have but of course I could be wrong. If you did then you are totally off base when complaining about problems, that is what you must be prepared for and accept with cooker.

Yes but its not altogether clear....

You should probably just noit install kernel packages and I agree its not something to be in updates unless its more rigidly controlled... 99% of the time you are best leaving the kernel until its a major change or contains something you *need*...

Mandriva and kernels and documentation is a big subject and one everyone probably hopes I don't rant about so...

3D does have problems but surely it is not a necessity, just a bit of eye candy that already seems to be losing interest with most people.

After trying it for 10 minutes I decided it wasn't really worth the hype and trouble so uninstalled it and haven't missed it since.

Yep....

I only ever install the plain kernel and its matching kernel-source (I have the latest 2.6.18-8), I download Nvidias latest driver and follow its recommended install routine.

If you are going to install a kernel then install that one (2.6.17-8) and its kernel-source, it is 3 steps up from the one you are talking about and has fixed a number of minor problems. Use easy-urpmi.

Guess what ?. I have done it that way for 1 1/2 yrs and have never had problems. So what does that tell you?.

Cheers. John

Yep and other stuff can just stop working like dbus/hal etc. or other modules...

The more experienced I get the less I mess with kernels...

gowator:

The xorg.conf Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "1" fails, but that may be because I have yet to update to 9xxx series drivers. I was able to get 3d desktop working (pre-release) on my dual monitors. You have to have xinerama disabled. I use the twinview features. Maybe because my monitors are identical it worked for me.

As I mentioned in my earier post, I had a lot of trouble getting 2007 to install at all. What I ended up getting to work was booting to the live cd and installing from it, then I copied the rpm's from the powerpack dvd to my hard drive and made them available via urpmi. All those kernel packages were default installed by the live cd I guess. Most likely for maximum compatability. What I need to know is which one's I can remove safely. I hate unneeded crap installed on my system (too much like windoze).

Once I get things cleaned up, I'll look at kernel updates and nvidia packages.

ianw1974:

All those "kernel" packages listed have the same release number. Does that mean they all need to be updated before I can upgrade or does the installer change the numbers to macth the kernel and do I really need all of them? My 2006 install has the kernel, kernel source and the nvidia-kernel and that's it.

btw: something I did a couple of days ago now has my system rather unsable. It seems to be locked up, but it's actually responding so slow it takes 10 minutes to respond to a commmand. This doesn't happen at boot, but begins 10-15 minutes after logging in. I have been installing and change things so something is amiss. I am typing this from my 2006 install.

UPDATE:

I updated to kernel 2.6.17-8mdv, removed all the kernel files put in by the live cd installer, installed dkms-nvidia 9361 from plf.

All seems OK at this point. Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "1" now works. Now to dig into 3d dekstop

Although I still don't know what unicorn was or which ones are needed for my modem. It no longer appears in the hardware list.

Edited by oshunluvr

UPDATE #2:

I tried 3ddesktop again using newest available files with same results - can't log in. On the earlier versions, you had to re-start X between users (easy with kdmrc) but this didn't help.

I tried beryl (via backports) too - it worked, but noticeably slowed my system, forced my second monitor into a 'clone' state and wasn't as smooth as 3d-desktop was in the past so I took it off too. Note the beryl packages available are 1.4 and 1.999 is the current release.

I'm too tired tonight to work on it any further so that's it for now.

UPDATE #3:

Did some more web searching - added commands (via mandriva bug reports) that delete some files from /tmp. Nochange however -

Lastest findings: with compiz and 3ddesktop active - can't log into X. Log in attempts cause 'wait' mouse icon for a couple of minutes, then dumps back to login screen. Stopped dm service and tried startx (to avoid kdm) no change from above really - starts gui, hangs with 'wait' icon, then back to text screen. No errors showing up that I have found yet.

To re-enable gui log in I have to urpme compiz (total 6 packages uninstall), then I am able to log in as normal. I tried to log in (3d enabled) with a different user - same as above. Here is the ".xsession-errors" file:

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/localhost:93
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
s2u: cookie for :93 = 'fa47da16df85e237b43874a027c12a62'

Fatal server error:
could not open default cursor font 'cursor'
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":93.0"
  after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":93.0"
  after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
s2u: Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server :93.0.
kdostartupconfig: Running kdostartupconfig.
xset:  unable to open display ":93"
xsetroot:  unable to open display ':93'
xmodmap:  unable to open display ':93'
xmodmap:  unable to open display ':93'
startkde: Starting up...
ksplash: cannot connect to X server :93
xprop:  unable to open display ':93'
usage:  xprop [-options ...] [[format [dformat]] atom] ...

where options include:
-grammar					   print out full grammar for command line
-display host:dpy			  the X server to contact
-id id						 resource id of window to examine
-name name					 name of window to examine
-font name					 name of font to examine
-remove propname			   remove a property
-set propname value			set a property to a given value
-root						  examine the root window
-len n						 display at most n bytes of any property
-notype						do not display the type field
-fs filename				   where to look for formats for properties
-frame						 don't ignore window manager frames
-f propname format [dformat]   formats to use for property of given name
-spy						   examine window properties forever

kdeinit: Launched DCOPServer, pid = 4997 result = 0
DCOP: register 'anonymous-4997' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-4997'
kdeinit: Launched KLauncher, pid = 5001 result = 0
DCOP: register 'klauncher' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOP: new daemon klauncher
kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.
kdeinit: Launched KDED, pid = 5020 result = 0
DCOP: register 'kded' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOP: unregister 'kded'
DCOP: register 'kded' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOP: register 'anonymous-5020' -> number of clients is now 2
kded: cannot connect to X server :93
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-5020' to 'kded'
DCOP: unregister 'kded'
kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-5020'
kdeinit: PID 5020 terminated.
kdeinit: Launched 'kcminit_startup', pid = 5040 result = 0
kcminit_startup: cannot connect to X server :93
kdeinit: PID 5040 terminated.
kdeinit: Got KWRAPPER 'ksmserver' from socket.
creating: localhost;1170517537;410442;5061_TIME0:
kdeinit: PID 5061 terminated.
ksmserver: cannot connect to X server :93
DCOP: register 'anonymous-5099' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-5099'
startkde: Shutting down...
kdeinit: terminate KDE.
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
DCOP: unregister 'klauncher'
DCOPServer : slotShutdown() -> waiting for clients to disconnect.
DCOPServer : slotExit() -> exit.
starting artsd!
kcminit: cannot connect to X server :93
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
xprop:  unable to open display ':93'
usage:  xprop [-options ...] [[format [dformat]] atom] ...

where options include:
-grammar					   print out full grammar for command line
-display host:dpy			  the X server to contact
-id id						 resource id of window to examine
-name name					 name of window to examine
-font name					 name of font to examine
-remove propname			   remove a property
-set propname value			set a property to a given value
-root						  examine the root window
-len n						 display at most n bytes of any property
-notype						do not display the type field
-fs filename				   where to look for formats for properties
-frame						 don't ignore window manager frames
-f propname format [dformat]   formats to use for property of given name
-spy						   examine window properties forever

startkde: Done.

any genius out there with any help? Obviously there are some errors here to look at. I've read about compiz wanting to access the network - maybe the inet6 errors deserve some attention???

3d is working now. Seems I kept selecting "xgl". For some reason, I was thinking I couldn't use aiglx. I little more searching reveiled that with the 9XXX series drivers I could use aiglx - it's actually prefered. glxgears slowed from 7600fps to 5300fps, but I'm still tweaking.

Let me know how it goes, so long as you save your self a safe xorg.conf you can always revert :D if it goes wrong.

The aiglx stuff sounds like its for the ATI card ... I thought that anyway...

All in all there seem to be rather a lot of combinations of XGL, AIGLX and such.... so Id be interested what you manage to get stable and working, especially with the 2 monitors which was my main problem.... I could have one 3D and one not (unstable) is about as far as I got but that's because my TV and everything uses the 2nd monior (projector) so my GF gets pissed when we have no TV... and I end up putting it back .. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Let me know how it goes, so long as you save your self a safe xorg.conf you can always revert :D if it goes wrong.

The aiglx stuff sounds like its for the ATI card ... I thought that anyway...

All in all there seem to be rather a lot of combinations of XGL, AIGLX and such.... so Id be interested what you manage to get stable and working, especially with the 2 monitors which was my main problem.... I could have one 3D and one not (unstable) is about as far as I got but that's because my TV and everything uses the 2nd monior (projector) so my GF gets pissed when we have no TV... and I end up putting it back .. LOL

Yeah, the "AI" part of AIGLX throw me too. Looking further into 3d desktop, the real issues seem to be with compiz rather than xgl. I spent the last week installing openSUSE 10.2 and setting up 3d desktop with that distro using beryl rather than compiz as the window manager and using XGL, rather than AIGLX. I found the XGL, properly istalled and set up runs much faster than AIGLX. It appears at least some of my problems were related to mis-information on the correct xorg.conf setup. With openSUSE, it uses a separate XGL config file that got the effects running FASTER than without 3d desktop. I could spin the cube so fast the desktops blurred! I haven't yet applied what I learned to my 2007 install as my Wife wants the hallway painted and to check her email - both of which means I have to get out of my chair.

Some of my notes from my openSUSE install:

GLXGEARS: "nv" driver, base setup = 470fps. "nvidia" driver, deluxe setup = 7700fps, 3d desktop using beryl = 12500fps. No, really!

With the nvidia driver, you should NOT have composite in the extensions section of xorg.conf. AllowCompositeWithGLX is aqutomatic witj the new driver and adding the second reference slows things way down.

I have two installs running, one with bith monitors as one desktop (twinview) and one as two desktops (each has it's own "cube"). I'm having trouble with openSUSE though, because I'm totally new to it and some things aren't the same as mandriva. I seem to have an XGL config file I can't locate and adjust. SUSE wants you to use the Yast config tool for everything, but as these tools seem to go, it just can't do it all.

I'll post more when I'm at home later.