file system error [solved]

kungfooya

I have 2007 freshly installed, and it locked up on me while browsing online. I then held the power

button down until my machine shut down. After I started it up I get a message saying to check my

file system which it does, but then before it completes I get a 'FAILED' error, followed by 'run fsck

manually'? Now, I've had unclen shutdowns in the past but never where it couldn't be fixed. What

do I need to do to get my system back up and running again? I've never done anything like this in linux so it will be new to me. Thanks for any info!

Jason

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by kungfooya

On the boot menu, there should be failsafe. Use this instead of attempting to boot normally, and run fsck from the command prompt that follows.

You might have had something go screwy big time. Previous times might have been minor errors. Sounds like you power off this time caused a major one. I never terminate with the powerswitch unless I'm sure my hard disk isn't writing any data. Sounds like yours could have been which is why you have this problem now.

Of course, to run fsck you need to know the partition device that's having the problem, eg: /dev/hda5.

Guys, thanks for the replys. I am going to get back on this tonight hopefully. There were

also two options it told me to try, fsck -a and fsck -p. What are these options and should

I use either of these? If so, would my command be 'fsck -* /dev/hda6'? Hopefully I can get this fixed without having to reinstall, thanks gain!

Jason

-a:

Automatically repair the file system without any questions (use this option with caution). Note that e2fsck(8) supports -a for backwards compatibility only. This option is mapped to e2fsck's -p option which is safe to use, unlike the -a option that some file system checkers support.
from reading that, it seems that -a and -p will essentially do the same thing. I would go with -p, however, since it appears to be what you'd be calling anyways - always better to take the more direct route.