Partitions in /mnt not mounted automatically

hippocampe

After installing Mandriva 2007, the partition in /mnt are no longer mounted during boot.

Everything is fine in /etc/fstab and the partitions can be mounted using

mount -a

However, I would HATE to have to do that every time. What could be the problem here?

The previous Mandriva version I had on this computer was 10.1. It looks like a few things changed since then and I have to get used to the new stuff so please bear with me. The HAL service is running correctly.

Since we are on the topic of mounting partitions, I have another related question. I think it's not worth starting another topic for this. Both of my optical drives do not get mounted automatically anymore. I understand that supermount is no longer the preferred method for doing this. I remember that the first time I inserted a disc in the dvd drive, a dialog box popped up giving me two options: "open in a new window" and "do nothing". I don't want to open a new window every time I insert a disc . I want it to be mounted silently so I can access it with the existing konqueror window. So I chose "do nothing". Since then I have to mount manually any disk I put in the drive.

Incidentally, when using a usb key, I still get the popup dialog so detection is working correctly.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Open MCC and go to.......Mount Points.......................Create, delete and resize hard disk partitions.

Mount your partitions there and when they are mounted and you click out you will be asked if ok to save to fstab.....click ok.

Unlike many who constantly talk about solutions using the console, I thoroughly recommend using MCC. It was developed to make things easier and it does. I can vouch for that for over 2 1/2 years.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn