unable to play DVDs

tyme

I had this same problem w/9.0 and it seems to have continued into 9.1. Although, I did an upgrade not a full re-install, so that might be why...but still, it makes no sense.

I can't play DVDs. it doesn't matter what program i try (xine, ogle, mplayer (gui interface) ), i get the same/similar error from each one:

cannot open /dev/dvd for reading

unable to open /dev/dvd

it begins to spin the DVD and tries to read it, but it just can't. yes, libdvdread and libdvdcss are both installed. this is getting extremely irritating, and is the one thing i can't seem to get fixed.

anyone have any ideas, suggestions, clues?

thanks!

(i don't know if this is better off here or in the hardware forum, but since the dvd player reads normals cds fine, i don't think it's a hardware issue)

Until you have it straightened out, in MPlayer, you can use:

-dvd-device <path to device>

Override default DVD device name /dev/dvd.

and have it point to your working CD drive.... for example:

In my case I would use:

mplayer -dvd-device /devices/cdroms/cdrom0 -dvd 1

/dev/dvd points to:

ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd

i have both a CD burner and a DVD drive. and i tried changing settings in mplayer so it would use /dev/cdrom1, but had the same results. drive starts to spin, but gives up after about 2 minutes.

looking at fstab, this line would refer to my dvd drive i assume:

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codep age=850 0 0

Guest kayosIII

A few things you should check....

/dev/dvd actually points to your DVD device

ls -l /dev/dvd

That you have the libraries installed for playing encrypted DVD's (I don't think they ship with Mandrake)

I had difficulty with the rawdvd device so I made it point to the same device as /dev/dvd

it seems this isn't a linux issue. i hadn't been in windows for a while, so i booted into that and attempted to play a DVD. still a no go. but the dvd drive reads normal cd's, just not dvd's. tried the old unplug and replug and it's still not working. grrr, guess that's what i get for buying cheap.

Guest Gerrath

My DVD player quit playing DVDs as well but still would read CDs. It turned out in needed to be cleaned. I tried a cleaner kit but no go. I ended up taking it apart and cleaning the laser with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Now it works great again.

P.S.

I would not recommend taking your DVD player apart if you are not comfortable with such things! Be very careful with static discharge :)

I ordered a new DVD anyways. It arrives tomorrow. It's black, which matches my case, so I'll just use that one and maybe sell this one to someone else. (If I can get it working by cleaning it with a q-tip.)

it begins to spin the DVD and tries to read it, but it just can't. yes, libdvdread and libdvdcss are both installed. this is getting extremely irritating, and is the one thing i can't seem to get fixed.

I noticed that your didn't mention whether 'libcss' was installed or 'libd4d' were installed. You can get them from PLF. Both files are needed for DVD to work. I tried to remove all Xine packages that were from mdk and replace them with the xine packages from plf, but there were too many dependencies that had to be removed, too. I ended up reinstalling 9.1 and not installing xine. I then added plf to my software resources in mcc and then installed the following files: libcss, libdvdcss2, (before I installed xine-ui, etc), xine-ui, libdvdread2, libdvdnav1, and libd4d (this is for reading encrypted DVD's). I can now play DVD's. I was having basically the same problems as you. I hope this helps.

JohnJ: All the necessary files were installed. The dvd player doesn't even work in Windows with the software that came with it.

Consider this post done, as I found the problem and it had nothing to do with software :-)

country code is set right. the dvd player was working for a while before this happened. I've decided the dvd-rom has just gone bad, although Gerrath suggests I may just have to clean it, but since I went ahead and ordered another one before that was suggested I'll just install the one I'm getting and maybe try to salvage the current one and sell it to someone for cheap.