mandrake-9.1 install: cannot change ext2 to ext3

Guest ndeb

1. I deleted /boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img

2. Then I regenerated initrd by the command:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img 2.4.21-0.13mdk

3. After rebooting, the problem ( / being mounted as ext2 instead of ext3) still persists.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I deleted /boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img

I've asked this before, but nobody answered yet. WTF mandrake is installing a 2.4.21 kernel? That is a kernel version which is NOT already stable (and sure it wont be in the next month and a half as per prepatch release timings):

arusabal@mandrakeusers ~$ finger @kernel.org

[kernel.org]

The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is:           2.4.20

The latest prepatch for the stable Linux kernel tree is:    2.4.21-pre6

The latest beta version of the Linux kernel is:             2.5.66

The latest snapshot for the beta Linux kernel tree is:      2.5.66-bk4

The latest 2.2 version of the Linux kernel is:              2.2.25

The latest 2.0 version of the Linux kernel is:              2.0.39

The latest prepatch for the 2.0 Linux kernel tree is:       2.0.40-rc6

The latest -ac patch to the stable Linux kernels is:        2.4.21-pre5-ac3

The latest -ac patch to the beta Linux kernels is:          2.5.66-ac1

The latest -dj patch to the beta Linux kernels is:          2.5.60-dj2

arusabal@mandrakeusers ~$

Not to say that their own mdk version doesn't seem enough high to feel confident (0.13mdk)

I've also had problems with diskdrake. After I installed 9.1 I got and installed an additional hard drive. Tried to partition the thing into three reiserfs partitions in diskdrake. Diskdrake indicated that the partitions had been made and formated reiserfs, mount points set up and partitions mounted.

When I rebooted some time later, it hung up where the new partitons were supposed to be mounted. I accessed mandrake's fstab through another linux distro and commented out the three lines for the new partitions, all of which indicated reiserfs partitons. When I rebooted, I went back into diskdrake and now the three new partitions were designated as "Linux Native".

I noticed something else peculiar. In the drop down menu where you can pick the type of file system, there appeared to be double entries for all the journaled filesystems, one at the beginning and one toward the end.

Odd thing is that when I did the install of 9.1, the reiserfs partions were made and formatted fine.

Wound up using Acronis to make my reiserfs partitions which worked great.

Hmm, now I've run into something new. The partition table FS type (a byte or two?) should match the actual FS on the partition. I know I'm stating the obvious. Isn't ext2 the same as ext3 except journaling is turned on? Gotta get those CD's today... do you know of a utility allowing you to view the partition sector as hex and text values? I was hunting around, but didn't really find anything. Matter of fact, I was messing with gnu-parted and it insists that my partition tablees on both drives are off and it can't deal with them..

Hmm, now I've run into something new. The partition table FS type (a byte or two?) should match the actual FS on the partition. I know I'm stating the obvious.
It does. Its just that it lists the types as Linux, does not say if its ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs etc.

Isn't ext2 the same as ext3 except journaling is turned on?
Correct.

do you know of a utility allowing you to view the partition sector as hex and text values?
I wish I could help. I searched in google but nothing useful yet.

OIC, its a linux partition but that has nothing to do with the file system. Actually, are you sure? Remember the partition tables entries for DOS, FAT16, FAT32, so on are all different.. Just figured out that "linux disk editor" is a better search term than "sector editor". See some stuff to check out..

Actually, are you sure? Remember the partition tables entries for DOS, FAT16, FAT32, so on are all different..
You can run
fdisk -l

and see that it does not give much info.