mandrake-9.1 install: cannot change ext2 to ext3

Guest ndeb

I have two partitions that I want to change from ext2 to ext3. I used the mandrake-9.1 installer to do the job (note that I am using ISO image on a hard-drive).

1. I chose custom partitioning.

2. I deleted both ext2 partitions and then created new ext3 partitions in their place.

3. Next, the installer wrote the new partition table to the MBR and gave this strange message that the changes will take effect only after a reboot. After this it actually rebooted too.

4. After the reboot I did a complete installation and also made sure that the two new ext3 partitions were formatted. After the install, I booted and logged in only to discover that both the partitions have remained ext2 !!

Does anybody have a similar experience ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what I did in the end. But that does not change the fact that the mandrake installer is just bluffing and doing stupid things. In fact, after I did that, the kernel now mounts my root (/) partition as ext2 (although / is ext3). This bug was not there in mandrake-9.0.

Try tune2fs -j /dev/<hard drive partition name>

then edit the /etc/fstab file and place ext3 where it says ext2, and finally

do a "mount -a -o remount" or reboot

Maybe that is what is happening, you forgot to edit the fstab file and mount is mounting the new ext3 filesystems as if they were ext2

then edit the /etc/fstab file and place ext3 where it says ext2
Obviously, I did that. I did the ext2 -> ext3 conversion for 2 partitions ( / and /home). The problem is not there for /home, which is being mounted as ext3. Only / is mounted as ext2. Just note that I also have a mandrake-9.0 install in which / is mounted correctly as ext3.

The real problem is likely in the initrd.img which is not making the kernel load the ext3 module before the kernel uses its in-built ext2. Take a look at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...t3-convert.html and this explains it all. More info is in http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/F...s/ext3-faq.html . I guess I will simply have to run the

mkinitrd

command.

But all this trouble is caused simply because the mandrake installer simply failed (and lied) about creating ext3 partitions.

I guess I will simply have to run the mkinitrd command.
Yes, that makes sense.
...  because the mandrake installer simply failed (and lied) about creating ext3 partitions.

For what I've seen from yours and others posts mandrake 9.1 is changing a bit the way lots of things should work

I checked qa.mandrakesoft.com to see if this is listed. I don't see it. You might want to report it. Sounds like a diskdrake error or some underlying error. It shouldn't need to reboot because it is not mounting those partitions anyways or using them. Weird!

Soon as I get the CD's I'll try setting up an ext2 and do the same thing you did..

I checked qa.mandrakesoft.com to see if this is listed. I don't see it. You might want to report it. Sounds like a diskdrake error or some underlying error. It shouldn't need to reboot because it is not mounting those partitions anyways or using them. Weird!
I have used the mandrake installers in 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 9.0 but never seen such stupid behavior when creating partitions from empty space. The mandrake-9.1 installer has very serious problems. Regarding the message about need to reboot, that seemed even worse since I have done this in previous installers and have never seen anything like this. I guess mandrake wanted to make linux more MS-windoze like. Its just that one reboot was not enough (!?).

Soon as I get the CD's I'll try setting up an ext2 and do the same thing you did..
Thanks for the display of courage. This is what u should do:

1. Put cd1 in cd-drive and boot from it and come to the stage where u can select what partitions to use for install. Select custom/expert partitioning.

2. If u have an existing ext2 partition which u want to play with, skip the next step. Otherwise, go to the next step.

3. Create an ext2 partition, make sure to format it, and write the partition table. If possible, mount the ext2 partition in some other linux install and verify that it has a valid ext2 FS. Then reboot and go back to step 1.

3. Delete the ext2 partition. In the empty space create an ext3 partition of the same size. Make sure to format it.

4. Next time u mount this partition, check if it has ext3 FS.

When you re-created the partitions to ext3 in diskdrake, could you have exceeded the 4 primary partition rule? Maybe diskdrake didn't handle it correctly if that happened?
I don't see why that should matter at all since I am not increasing the number of partitions from the original number. Also, the partitioning tool only asks me to create a partition. Whether it should be primary or secondary is decided by itself, not the user.

In custom partitioning, you can click on the Preference button to determine the primary or extended status of the partition. I had to ask the question because you may have had other partitions (more than 4 with extended), deleted a partition, and then recreated it as primary.

However, now I'm thinking (had some cereal :P ), the extended partitions exist in a primary. So deleting an extended and recreating would just reallocate the extended partition space. Same with a primary. So to answer my own question, shouldn't matter.

Soon as I burn the CD's I'll try it. I have a 2nd set of linux partitions I can use.

However, now I'm thinking (had some cereal  ), the extended partitions exist in a primary. So deleting an extended and recreating would just reallocate the extended partition space. Same with a primary. So to answer my own question, shouldn't matter.
Very true. The partition names remained the same before deletion and after recreation (/dev/hda5 and /dev/hda7).