Easy Icon Association In Gnome? [solved]

kmc77

I recently decided to give Gnome another go, and am settling in quite nicely. However, one thing that I was wondering about was the ability to associate a particular icon with a file type. Specificaly, I have a set of media icons (mp3, mp4, avi, etc.) that I would like to globaly associate with their respective file type. Using KDE, this could be done quite simply with a "right click" and a change of options. Is there a similarly easy way to do this in Gnome, or will it require a manual edit of filenames in my Icon theme directory?

This is turning out to be a little more complicated than I had thought. I'm having a hard time structuring the file names. Is there somewhere I can find a list of name standards, or a guide that explains how to piece them together? For example, in one icon set "gnome-mime-application-ogg.png" would assign an icon for ogg files, while in another set "gnome-mime-audio-ogg.png" would be used.

Ok, here's a continuation/exacerbation of my problem. I have found quite a few examples of how to structure the names of icons listed as mimetypes, but have been unable to get them to work. After a couple hours of frustration, I decided to try some "out of the box" icon sets provided for download at the gnome site and at gnome-look. To my surprise, the mimetype icons in every pack fail to load, while the actions, apps, devices, emblems, etc. icons work without a problem. Any ideas about what is happening here?

Ok issue resolved. For others having the same problem, let me share what I've figured out.

Pretty much all of the instructions/How-to's on Gnome icons stated that the icon filename, in a theme, needed to be set up like this:

gnome-mime-video-x-msvideo.png (this example is using the mimetype for files with an .AVI extension)
where "gnome" is your desktop manager, "mime" refers to a mimetype, "video" tells us the type of mime and "msvideo" is the specific mime type that the icon will be applied to.

Now, what I've found is that gnome (gnome 2.16, at least) automaticaly points all the icons at "gnome-mime", when you add a new icon theme, or revise one, as was my case. So to get my icons to display with the appropriate filetype, they had to be named as follows:

video-x-msvideo.png (the "gnome-mime" is no longer necessary)

Also, it might be usefull to know that you can get a list of mimetypes from your /etc/mime.types file. Also, if you want to know a specific files mime type, you can right click the file, select properties, and the mimetype will be displayed, for that file, under the basic tab.

Anyway, hope someone else can use this to skip the "frustration period".

Edited by kmc77