Mounting and userrights....

qeldroma

me:

I can't get my mounted drives being enabled RWX or all users (VFAT)?!

I did add "users" to fstab, i tried the "setguid=" setting according to my users-group.

Don't get it work.

Of course i read the manual of fstab and mount, but couldn't find anything suitable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glitz:

Could you post your relevant fstab lines?

me:

I can't look after it in the moment. But perhaps following is enough:

I got th LM8.2-defaults in fstab, if your integrating a partition while installing.

Only thing is, that i added the described options.

theYinYeti:

I'm not sure, but I think the right options are not "setuid=xxx" and "setgid=xxx", but instead "uid=xxx" and "gid=xxx". Anyway, the simplest thing to do for allowing rwx to all users on your fat partition, is to replace the uid and gid options with "umask=000". Besides, if I were you, I would add the "noexec" option. With this last option, you say that no files are executable. This avoids the executable bits you get when you copy or move MP3, ZIP, TGZ around. (And anyway, you don't store Linux execs on your fat partition, do you?)

Bluebeard:

I'm one of these crazy people who stores all my Mandrake, KDE and Kernel updates on a Windows drive, not even in a separate partition. I have never had a problem updating anything using the command line since I regard Mandrake Update as a sick joke that has never worked for me. That way, a complete reinstall does not wipe out hours of downloading and doesn't clutter up my home partition. If they don't fix it in the next release, I will start referring to them as Mashdrake.

theYinYeti:

I understand your concern. You don't want to make another never-to-be-formated partition because partitions have a fixed size, and cannot grow when full. On the other hand, you rightly believe that /home should not be the place to put downloaded stuff in.

My personal solution to this (and my actual current config) is this:

swap (no comment)

/ --> root

/local --> all non distro-related things

Any install only formats /, not /local.

Here's /local in detail:

/local/home

/local/local

After a clean install, I always do that (as root):

rm -rf /home /usr/local

ln -s /local/home /home

ln -s /local/local /usr/local

You can do any other thing you want with /local, eg:

/local/download

/local/sharefiles

Something I typed into the old board recently...

Access rights to a partition such as windows fat32 are defined in the file /etc/fstab. This file is processed on boot and each entry defines mounting information for each partition on your hard drives.

Here is an example of my fstab file.

# Linux partitions 

/dev/hdc5 / reiserfs notail 1 1 

/dev/hdc6 swap swap defaults 0 0 

/dev/hdc7 /usr reiserfs notail 1 2 

/dev/hdc8 /home reiserfs notail 1 2 

# CD/DVD 

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,user,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,user,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0 

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0 

# FAT32 partitions 

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win2k vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 

/dev/hda5 /mnt/software vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 

/dev/hda6 /mnt/windev vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 

/dev/hdc9 /mnt/wintemp vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 

/dev/hdc10 /mnt/winrip vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 

# Some dev 

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0 

none /proc proc defaults 0 0 

#none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

Before you make any changes do a..

cd /etc 

cp fstab fstab.bkup

This will backup the fstab file in the event you mess it up.

Then...

gedit fstab

This will allow you to edit the file.

Your fstab file may not be organized in the same fashion, but will have the same information. Note the #FAT32 partitions?

/dev/hda1 is the partition name. You can run diskdrake to get this info.

/mnt/win2k is the postiion in the linux file system where the partition will be mounted so you can access it.

vfat means this is a fat32 file system.

user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 , these arguments further define access to the partition. Set your arguments to equal this list and you will have what you are looking for.

After you make the changes, reboot.

# FAT32 partitions

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win2k vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/software vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

/dev/hda6 /mnt/windev vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

/dev/hdc9 /mnt/wintemp vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

/dev/hdc10 /mnt/winrip vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

Dumb question, but what do the 1 0 0 mean at the end of each line? I mostly understand the rest of the line except for the last few digits.