intel wireless 3945 [solved]

hi, I have an Acer 5610 laptop with FC6

I installed the drivers from ATrpms and the network manager found my wlan card,

but when trying to connect to activate the card/network config, I get this error

Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present.  Check cable?

Is it a problem with my wifi network or the card?

Please help, just two days with this laptop and I haven't tried to connect anything else to my wifi network, because I have nothing else to connect....

[moved from Laptops by spinynorman]

Edited by solarian

I spent weeks trying to get mine to work with Mandy, I have a tosh lappy with the same card.

This is what I did. I googled for ipw3945 and found the sourceforge website. Downloaded the single file that compiles the module into the kernel. Then, I installed Mandy's packages:

ipw3945-ucode-1.13-2mdv2007.0
ipw3945d-1.7.22-1mdv2007.0

of course, I know your running FC6. So, find these two atrpm packages and install them. Then compile the latest stable module from the sourceforge website, version 1.2.0 I think.

That should do the trick I hope.

I gave up FC6 on my laptop after trying out Mandriva ONE 2007,

it recognized my card right away and connecting to my wifi was a breeze, even with my WPA2 security.

So I'm running Mandriva again, at least on one of my computers. :)

That's sort of "back to the roots" to me.

Edited by solarian

I did try FC6 on my laptop, in fact I tried a few distros, but finally went with Mandriva on it, purely for familiarity and the fact I couldn't get sound or wireless working on either of the distros anyway.

And thought I would wait for the later module to arrive, so I could finally get it working, which I did last week :P

Glad you got a solution though and it worked out of the box for you. Wasn't quite the same for me, as the standard Mandy kernels didn't work with my Core 2 Duo. Therefore, I couldn't use dkms to get the ipw3945 packages, and therefore had to compile my own kernel to get the Core 2 Duo supported and then compile the modules, but at least use some Mandy ipw packages.

So for you, much much easier than me ;)

I might have to try that soon on my lappy then and see how FC6 goes. I had big problems before, and couldn't find any freshrpm packages or from the other repository that I've forgotten right now.

Does anyone know if the reverse engineered 3945 bsd drivers is ported to Linux? That would make my laptop fully open source/free software operated..!

havn't really got a hope unfortunately. There's so many great wireless drivers in *bsd that I wish would be ported, but none ever have been. I wish linux' wireless was implemented at least half as well as bsd.

but then again... there's a lot of things that are implemented far better in bsd.

James

Edited by iphitus

• 2 months later...