Resource sharing between users

Guest wouter

Hi,

I have an issue with Mandriva (now 2007, same wiht 2006). We have two users, usually logged in simultaniously via gdm ("login new user"). Very convenient.

But only the first user to log in has access to the USB ports: webcam, scanner, and camera (now and then attached). The second user does get all the icons on the desktop, but they don't work.

Any idea on how to share these resources that both users can access them? I have found references that this is possible, but nothing on how it can be done!

Wouter.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

• 4 months later...

Are these logged in as different users or the same? I'm a little cloudy on that. If they're logged in as different users, I don't think should be an issue at all.

Jon

Look at the devices you have problems with, eg: /dev/sdd1, /dev/dsp, /dev/cdrom... (follow the links of course until you can see the real device file). Those device files should have a specific group to them (writer, audio, disk, usb...); add the users who should get simultaneous access to the appropriate groups.

This is for the devices part. There remains the mount part. Indeed, if a block device (accessible by all users) is mounted with options such that only one user has access to the filesystem that is on this block device, this defeats the previous step. To prevent that, depending on the filesystem and device type, you may tweak the /etc/fstab (umask, users...) or the udev rules.

Yves.