Dual boot internet problems

Visti

Hi, I'm totally new to Linux, so this might be really simple, but I am stumped and I have no idea where to go from now.

I'm running dual boot with xp on my my box. Now, my ISP requires you to load a page to log in each time you use the net (signon.stofanet.dk, just for reference), but this was bothering me, so I enabled an option to have the connection 'always on', like a regular cable.

This, however, seems to be confusing Linux (most distros I've tried) - Mandriva was the first one that actually worked out of the box with this. I booted, used automatic DCHP settings and lo and behold - I was connected! So, I started updating and getting the RPMs I needed, but suddenly after about 4 hours of running smoothly, I'm back to the same issue, but I'm gonna stick with Mandriva now, hoping I can get some help.

Basically what is happening is that my NIC (?) is always logged on with an IP that changes now and again as far as I can tell. But when I boot Mandriva, I don't get that IP through DCHP - I get allocated another IP. This means that my ISP sees this as two different computers. I can boot up this login-page and try to log in, but I get a message saying that that username is already in use with another IP.

There must be some workaround for this, I mean, it's worked at first boot, but never since without any tampering with settings.

I could disable the 'always on' function and just log in everytime, but it's such a nuisance.

I hope you can help me.. I'm really at a loss here.

my ISP requires you to load a page to log in each time you use the net (signon.stofanet.dk, just for reference), but this was bothering me

I don't blame you, it would bother me too!

Your problem could be any one of a number of things, but your ISPs way of doing things isn't helping. Is there any particular reason why they force their users to do this? I would expect to have to go through a login process in order to use the WiFi in my local Starbucks, but not just to use the internet over my regular connection.

I would recommend as a first step finding yourself another internet provider who can give you a normal router or cable modem.

The thing is.. I'm actually forced to use this provider. I live in an apartment complex and don't have a fixed phone set up, so I'm forced to get my internet through the cable for the TV - which only supports this provider.

I was pretty happy with it actually once I found that 'always on' switch, but now that it won't work with two different OS's even though they aren't even on at the same time, I'm really getting annoyed.

I could do it another way - install an automatic logon thing that boots with xp and then maybe write one for Mandriva (you can connect through telnet too), but from what I've heard this is pretty unstable - They log you off if there's been no traffic for a fixed amount of time.

I think it must be some kind of leftover from when there was no flatrate. I know they also handle WiFi for some apartment complexes, so it could just be their standard way of doing things.

Maybe I could pay for a fixed IP and set that up, but really.. That shouldn't be necessary.

I have DSL and Mandriva 2005. Two files are of interest:

/etc/resolv.conf

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

my DHCP host name is : XXX.XXX.X.XXX

icfg-eth0 looks like this:

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

ONBOOT=yes

DHCP_HOSTNAME=XXX.XXX.X.XXX

MTU=1492

resolv.conf looks like this:

search launchmodem.com

nameserver XXX.XXX.X.XXX

nameserver XXX.XXX.X.XXX

edit:

I should add that Mandriva was configured to do DHCP using the Mandrakelinux Control Center (MCC). Type "mcc" from a terminal to start this up, then proceed to "Network and Internet"

Edited by daniewicz