Transparent fonts in opera

Soka

When using opera to view pages in japanese some characters appear transparent. For example in the following image, opera.jpg, the "shi" character is transparent in the search key line.

It should read watashi4nr.jpg.

In firefox and konqueror the page displays fine.

Any ideas?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

In Opera 9.2, I can see the "shi" character just fine on the site (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/blahblah, not meaning your image :P)

Do you have your encoding set to "Automatic Selection" under View -> Encoding?

If the font displays fine in Firefox and Konqueror, this would be the first thing I would check.

(Also, apparently, it is just the bold character that does not show in yours, because several lines below it appears to be there, but not in bold....I can see even the bold character in mine.)

Is this the only character, is it random, or is it several characters?

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

In Opera 9.2, I can see the "shi" character just fine on the site (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/blahblah, not meaning your image :P)

I can see it fine too in my gentoo box with opera 9.02, I'm having the problem in my mandriva laptop running the same opera version. The opera options are the same on both systems.

I have the encoding set to automatic detection, but seting it manually gives the same results.

The character is random and it can be 1, 2 or even the entire word.

And now that you mention, I have the kanjis in bold while in gentoo they're not.