ATI Driver Installer doesn't build RPM?

Guest BessenOlli

Guest BessenOlli

Hi guys.

This is my 3rd day using Linux (at all). After trying OpenSuse and Kubuntu I switched to Mandriva Free 2007 yesterday. Wow, so far this works best for me (as a Newbie).

The sad thing is that I still use this weird free-version-driver because until now I had no success installing the "proprietary" driver.

The installer tells me something about an "unknown X Server" (or something like that) and shows alternatively the option to install "distribution specific" blabla. Well, after that it shows me a variety of Redhat and Suse distributions. For otherones it wants me to use the console... "--listpkg" and "--buildpkg" stuff.

Okay, this was what I did then. Seemed to work well. But after all he tells me to install with the RPM file now. This is kinda funny because there is no new created file at all?! I searched the whole HDD for every kind of RPM file - the only one found was the trashed one of Skype. So I tried the console stuff with "su" as root again. No way, there still is no file created at all.

What is the problem here? What can I do? Does someone have a mirror or whatever with a Mandriva 2007 RMP package of this driver (8.33.6 x86)?

One more question: Would it be better for some reason to deinstall the old driver (Mandriva chose) first? Or can I do what I am about to do and just install the newer one "above"?

Greets

Oliver

Edited by BessenOlli

First at all: Welcome in the Linux World.

Now, for your problem:

Oh, you don't need to rebuild your rpm package yourself. Use the PLF rpm repertory (PLF=Pingouin Liberation Front :D ).

To do this, go to Easyurpmi site, and follow the instruction.

As soon as you did that,

in a console, log in root and then

urpmi ati

should install the ATI driver

Good luck

Joapa

Edited by joaopa

Hi,

If you still are having problems installing the driver, perhaps my experience might help.

I d/l the proprietary driver from ATI and the installer (I used the 64 bit version for my setup, but d/l the 32-bit if needed):

fglrx64_6_8_0_8.24.8-1.x86_64.rpm

ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-x86_64.run

Now the critical step: do the install from a non-X console (init3) otherwise it won't work.

Unfortunately, I discovered this only after a few failed attempts.

Make sure that you have the 'kernel-source' installed on your system

Make sure MESA is not installed (will cause conflicts)

Run installer - "custom"

Edit the resulting xorg.conf.fglrx-0 for proper 'screen1' and monitor1' settings.

It should install fine.

Hth,

Krunk

Edited by KrunK

Guest BessenOlli

Well, okay, I fixed this problem: I had to install "rpm-builder". I just misunderstood the installer when it told me to "install the rpm build".

Sad thing: It still doesn't work to use this driver.

Installs just fine but just in the moment I let him switch to the "proprietary driver", my monitor turns black. I didn'T know what I could do about this but after some trying I did an update install with the Mandriva DVD an at the end changed the graphics setting back to the non-proprietary driver.

I searched Google and I found two topics at a german Unix board immediately where people have exacly the same problem. With different Linux distributions, with different kinds of monitors and with different ATi graphic adapters.

Is this a known problem here? How to fix it?

PS: I am already thinking about selling my old 9800pro and buying a 7600GS...

• 3 months later...
Guest eyemean

Hi everyone, i would like to install the new ATI driver for the Radeon 9550 graphics card on Mandriva spring 2007 so i can try and enjoy my dual screens as i do in windows xp.

I've been trying to build an RPM package for the ati-driver-installer-8.36.5-x86_64.run but i get an error message, something about the X720 driectory not being found.

Now from what i have read so far it means i need to intall the rpm-build package which i cant seem to find on the list of software that i can install.

So im really lost and i really want to get dual screen workin, i love Gnome Mandriva look and 3d effects etc, and i would use it all the time if i was able to enjoy the dual screens.

So i hope some1 can help me out and i ask that you be patient with me as i am very new to the Linux world.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards

Eyemean

Well eyemean, the problem is, that Mandriva Spring uses X.org version 7.2, and ATI proprietary driver supports X.org up to 7.1... Take a look here. It says

Automated installer and Display Drivers for XFree86 4.3 and X.Org 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1

So I'm also waiting for the new release of the driver, and for now there's probably no better option, than use the open one.

Guest eyemean

Thanx Zibi.

I've emailed AMD asking when they will upgarde driver to include X.org 7.2. Wont hold my breath for a speedy reply though, lol.

So I'm also waiting for the new release of the driver, and for now there's probably no better option, than use the open one.

Not sure what you mean by open one.

Regards

Eyemean